Author Topic: Thomas O. Brien Honara Feathrstone  (Read 927 times)

Offline glieby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas O. Brien Honara Feathrstone
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 September 22 23:33 BST (UK) »
Ancestry found the marriage of Honora Fetherston and Thom O'Brien in Ireland, Catholic Parish Records 1655-1915. From the image I see the names but cannot understand the other information. I noticed on the same page baptisms in Roscommon.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 September 22 07:52 BST (UK) »
Good find.

I would say that is Mary’s baptism. It is Kilkeevin parish, mentioned earlier in my reply #4.
Ancestry have it as 16th December 1806.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633926#page/26/mode/1up
3rd down on the right hand page.

This is helpful https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/latin-irish-parish-registers.html

My version and transcription  :-\. Some words I am not sure of the endings
“Die 16 Dec baptizavi Mariam natam ex Thoma O Brien et Honora Fetherston. SS Stephanus Glover Mariague Fetherston.”

16th December baptised Mary, born to (ex - from) Thomas O’Brien and Honira Fetherston. Sponsors Stephen Glover and Margaret (?) Fetherston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline glieby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 September 22 17:07 BST (UK) »
Oh, my goodness. Thank you so much!!!! This group is absolutely amazing.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 16:14 BST (UK) »

I would say that is Mary’s baptism. It is Kilkeevin parish, mentioned earlier in my reply #4.
Ancestry have it as 16th December 1806.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633926#page/26/mode/1up
3rd down on the right hand page.

My version and transcription  :-\. Some words I am not sure of the endings
“Die 16 Dec baptizavi Mariam natam ex Thoma O Brien et Honora Fetherston. SS Stephanus Glover Mariague Fetherston.”

16th December baptised Mary, born to (ex - from) Thomas O’Brien and Honira Fetherston. Sponsors Stephen Glover and Margaret (?) Fetherston.

I agree with heywood's uncertainty about first name of the female sponsor.  Latin for Margaret should be Margarita, with endings altered according to context. Latin form of Mary is Maria.
Look at the entire page in heywood's link and you'll see other examples of the forename of the Featherstone sponsor in several entries. I also noticed that ending for Elizabeth. I wonder if it's "que", an alternative for Latin word "et" (and). A translation of "que" is "both .. and". The name of the Featherstone sponsor was Maria if the name ended in "que". Browsing a few more pages may lend weight to my suggestion. Or we could ask Bookbox and other Latin experts on the handwriting board.   
Cowban

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maiden Stone.
I wondered if it was just a peculiarity of the priest who wrote Margaret like that. As you say there are other similar examples on the page.

Just going down that page- I have used ‘que’ suffix as you suggest and the spellings may not be quite correct.  ;)  As it goes before the surname, I  don’t think it would be meaning ‘and’ though.  :-\
Mariaque
Elizabethaque
Elanoraque
Catharinaque
Brigidaque
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk