Author Topic: McClure Families of County Donegal -Northern Ireland  (Read 553 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McClure Families of County Donegal -Northern Ireland
« on: Wednesday 07 September 22 14:11 BST (UK) »
The McClures of County Donegal
The McClure name is well known in the Northern parts of Ireland. A lot of the families are connected but not necessarily by blood lines.
Their ancestors were originally from Scotland but not all are able to trace these links.
My interest in the McClure’s of County Donegal arose from my connection to Samuel McClure, my great grandfather who was Baptised at the Convoy Presbyterian Church on the 11th of August 1844. He migrated with his brothers William, David and Robert to Australia about 1869. Samuel’s line was his father - David McClure [1822Cloghroe-1898Killynure], Samuel McClure [1769-1865Convoy] and Samuel McClure [1730Cloghroe-1778].
Sam was a self-made farmer who also had a crack at shop keeping. He owned property in four difference municipal areas. His Foster dairy farm is now the local sports/show ground known in the family as ‘McClures Paddock.’
In researching my McClure family led me to look at the DNA connection and the collecting of information on a large number of McClure individuals around Northern Ireland.
The consensus of the McClure researchers has the main influx of McClures arrived in this part of the world between 1610 and 1640.
The County Donegal Muster Lists of 1630 have a Richard McCowr noted at John Wilson of the Findrum Estate.
The 1665 Hearth Tax report for the Parish of Raphoe [includes Convoy Parish] has Robert McCluer in Findrum and John McCluir Senior & Junior in Aughagalt.
Richard McClure was the 1st Lessee of the Findrum Estate as per the Deed of 1677. He is estimated to have been born in Scotland about 1630 and died about 1705 in Findrum. The land was passed down through the eldest sons Francis McClure, David McClure [1711Findrum-1784Donoghmore], Andrew McClure[1750Findrum-1798Findrum], John McClure[1765-1816] to Andrew McClure [1801Convoy-1874Carlton-Victoria-Australia]. Andrew McClure sold the last land holdings of the McClure Findrum Estate on the 11th January 1840. Ending 163 years of occupancy  to fund his migration to Australia with his wife Margaret [nee Gregg] and their 9 children – Mary, Elizabeth, John, Rebecca, Margaret, Ann, Richard, Andrew and Catherine.
Most of the McClure families around Convoy and the Deele River Valley would be related to the above Richard McClure of Findrum. About 1850 a statement was made about the McClure’s in East Donegal………’there were many of that name……’James’ was a common name among them, but still more common was ‘Richard’. There were Fiel Dick, Deel Dick, and Dick of Maghesnoppin[Magheranappin], Red Dick, Black Dick and Dick who supped the broughin.’ All alive at the same time and all related!
The Ballynashannagh McClures sold their land in the mid 1980’s that had been in the family for 300 years, thus purchased in the 1680’s. The property was in the following family line – [George McClure{1750Ballynashannagh-??}], David McClure[1775Ballynashannagh-1839],[John McClure[1807Ballynashannagh-1883Kerrykeel],[Thomas McClure[1850Ballynashannagh-1926Ballynashannagh]  [William McClure[1893Ballynashannagh-1971Ballynashannagh] ,[Son McClure – Alive].
Other McClure family lines have been identified Ballynashannagh, St. Johnston, Magheranappin, Ramelton, Burt, Cornagillagh, Carrickbrack, Cavan, Drumgumberland, Treantaboy, Carran, Carmoney, Teevickmoy, Aughagalt, Strabane, Raphoe, Stranorlar, Killea, Lachy, Inver, Munternes, Monreagh, Ballybofey, Gobnascale, Buncrana, Carndonagh, Letterkenny, Trentagh, Raymoghy, Killyverry, Bawn, Upper Tullydonnell,  and Coolboy.
A lot of American McClure trees have as their origins Raphoe/Rapho. Is this the townland, Parish or Barony?
Do you have any McClure connections to County Donegal, Republic of Ireland?
Are you able to connect your Irish McClures back to their origins in Scotland?
If you identify the first the answer, and yes to the next two, I may be able to help you.
Please contact me through the Rootschat personal messaging system.
Jack Gee.
Victoria, Australia
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline tweetybabe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McClure Families of County Donegal -Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 23 02:31 GMT (UK) »

The Ballynashannagh McClures sold their land in the mid 1980’s that had been in the family for 300 years, thus purchased in the 1680’s. The property was in the following family line – [George McClure{1750Ballynashannagh-??}], David McClure[1775Ballynashannagh-1839],[John McClure[1807Ballynashannagh-1883Kerrykeel],[Thomas McClure[1850Ballynashannagh-1926Ballynashannagh]  [William McClure[1893Ballynashannagh-1971Ballynashannagh] ,[Son McClure – Alive].

Hi Jack I am stuck here. Do your have any documents to show this lineage? Or anything else related to it? I am a descendant of this line in the US. Any help you have would be great.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 23 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Tweetybabe,
post your Ballynashannagh McClure person who migrated to the USA. Include as many dates[BDM] as known, spouse and places of settlement. Any siblings details would be helpful. I will then find your attachment. You have to have completed 3 posts to qualify for a personal message. I suggest that you also post an entry under the Donegal forum with the same details that you include in your next post in reply to my request. We can swap email addresses thru personal messages and i can give you lots of info.
Cheers - looking forward to your post.
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline tweetybabe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
My Great Gpa
Francis G. McClure
1860–1940
BIRTH 1 JANUARY 1860 • Donegal, Ireland
DEATH 2 DECEMBER 1940 • Saguache, CO

Marriage
1882 • Leadville, CO
Ruth Fisher
(1858–1948)

His Father is
Rev. Francis McClure
1810–1882
BIRTH 1810 • Ballynashannagh, County Donegal, Ireland
DEATH 15 SEPTEMBER 1882 • Henryville, Clark, Indiana, USA

Marriage
18 June 1844 • Vernant Lodge, Belfast Ireland
Kezia Rider
(1808–1882)

Rev Francis died visiting his Brother George
George McClure
1800–1882
BIRTH 1 APR 1800 • Ballynasnaugh, County Donegal, Ireland
DEATH 6 SEP 1882 • Henryville, Indiana, USA

Marriage
1824 • Donegal, Ireland
Bridget Hays
(1786–1865)

I Believe their father is
David McClure
1775–1843
BIRTH 1775 • Ballynashannagh, County Donegal, Ireland
DEATH 1843 • Ballynashannagh, , Donegal, Ireland

Marriage
about 1799 • Donegal, Ireland
Mary Jane Davies
(1780–1844)

Francis (1860-1940) came to US about 1880. He and

Thomas Anthony McClure
1848–1913
BIRTH 21 OCTOBER 1848 • Londonderry, Ireland
DEATH 12 DECEMBER 1913 • Salida, Chaffee, Colorado

brother, lived in Carbondale and developed a potato hybrid, Called McClure Reds. The story is that Thomas stole a horse from his father to buy passage to the US.

Thank you for your help

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 23 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Tweetybabe,
great details. I now know where you exactly sit in the Ballynashannagh McClure tree. I will post your line here soon and then send a PM with my email address to make contact easier.

Cheers
Jack Gee.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Tweetybabe,
the father of your Rev Francis McClure [1810-1882] is indeed David McClure. This David has a brother Robert McClure. The next generations get harder to pin down. A reasonable guess puts their father as George McClure, maybe his father as another David. At least one researcher has Henry McClure as the next up the line. The information that you provided above matches my file.
I will now send you a PM with my email address to sort things out and have a discussion about this McClure family line.

Cheers
Jack Gee