Author Topic: Hamlock farm Pembrey  (Read 426 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamlock farm Pembrey
« on: Thursday 08 September 22 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hello

Has anyone else come across Hamlock farm, Pembrey? It is mentioned is a newspaper article in 1840 in a case brought by a Jeremiah Griffiths against a “Mr. Lloyd” the then current occupier. However, I can find no reference to this farm in general searches or the 1841 or 1851 censuses.

Thank you

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hamlock farm Pembrey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 22 03:38 BST (UK) »
I think I found the indexed entry of the Newspaper article you mention, 4 Apr 1840 - is this it?
"........plaintiff—Damages,........ Griffiths and others v. Lloyd and another. ......Mr. Chilton stated the case to the jury. This was of ejectment, brought recover certain farm called Hamlock. in the parish of Pembrey, in the county of Carmarthen.  The lessor the plaintiff .."

There is another article I think, published earlier in the WELSHMAN 27 Mar 1840
".. jointly with Lloyd. Cross-examined.—
l remember old Joshua Griffith,, who was father to Jeremiah ; he was the first who had the farm is question. His eldest son was Jenkin, and Jeremiah was his second son. I ..."

If that's correct,  may be worth looking into the 2nd article - trying to pin down who Mr Lloyd is?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 22 08:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks, it is the second article I have a copy of. Unfortunately I have been unable to find the “mr. Lloyd” in question at Hamlock or a similar sounding property in 1841.  (The article does not give a fuller name for him).  Hamlock doesn’t sound a Welsh name and therefore I wonder if it is called something equivalent in Welsh in census records, though currently I have no idea what as Google translates Hamlock to Hamlock? I suppose the actual name could be Hemlock which Google translates to cegid, but again I can no “Mr. Lloyd” at such an address in 1841.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 September 22 02:22 BST (UK) »
Ahh, yes I did the "Hemlock" google too  ;)

I also googled up a mention of "Hamlock" Wales in relation to a chap in Nelson's times ( as in Horatio),  who was said to be from "Hamlock"  Wales and the researcher surmised that was an anglicised version " Amlwch" which is in North Wales, Anglesey.

I also found a 72 year old man in Pennslyvania, a labourer, who applied for a passport in 1922 to visit the UK with his wife, and who declared he was born 25 Sep 1850 in  "Hamlock North Wales". I then found him on a ship arriving in Liverpool Aug 1922, and it said "Hamlock Port, North Wales.

Armed with the word "Amlwch"  with the idea someone connected to Amlwch Anglesey might've named a farm in Carmarthenshire after it.......on the 11th District in 1841 on the 2nd to last page...... I found this.

Piece: 1379 | Book 13 | Folio 48 | Page 16
Benjamin Jinkins 35
Martha 35

The first letter, admittedly, is probably a C but that could be a mistake?

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 22 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Ambly

Thank you for taking the time to do this, very much appreciated. It definitely looks like emluch to me, which amazingly does fit in with information I have!

The Jeremiah Griffiths (1788-1857) in the newspaper article was the son of Jeremiah Griffiths (1760-1813) and Mary Price (1768-1834). Although Jeremiah’s baptism isn’t recorded (at least I can’t find it) the baptism of later children of Joshua and Mary are and their address is given as Emlych/Emlich! This surely must be Emluch.

I don’t have Benjamin Jinkins (Jenkins)  in my tree, but potentially he is related somehow. Jeremiah (1788-1857) in 1841 was living at “Part of Penygraig” Llannon in 1841 and then Grogwynion, Pembrey in 1851.

As an aside. Several trees have Jeremiah 1788 as the son of Jeremiah 1760, but as there is no baptism for Jeremiah I have always questioned if this is correct. The new information regarding Emlych/Hamlock seems to confirm this, plus other information in the article fits:

Jeremiah’s mother Mary Griffiths is mentioned in the article (“who died possessed of the property”) and that she had died about 5 years previous i.e. 1835 and it is documented Mary Griffiths (nee Price) died in 1834. It also states that she survived her husband, which also fits the known facts as he died in 1813.

It also States that Jeremiah was the eldest son of Mary, which fits in with him being born around
1788, his parents marrying in 1787.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 September 22 09:18 BST (UK) »
Also, just to add that in 1851 a William (1793) and Jane Hughes (Hugh) (1801) and family were living at Emlych. If my research is correct, Jane is Jane Griffiths and she is the granddaughter of Joshua Griffiths (1732-1793) and Jeremiah 1788 was his grandson

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 September 22 00:01 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic, that it all seems to tie up to your Griffiths very well  and identify the Farm!

I tell you, I nearly gave up - 11 Pembrey districts and I find that Emluch/Emlwch practically at the end of the last one. Murphy's Law  ;D . Done of the districts were very large though.  Really pleased for you. I suppose Mr Lloyd may remain a mystery- but then, he wasn't your target?

Cheers
AMBLY