Author Topic: Cummins McDonald  (Read 310 times)

Offline Des Cummins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cummins McDonald
« on: Wednesday 14 September 22 00:05 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information regarding a James Cummins married to a Bridget Mc Donald and died in 1861. They had children and more specifically a John (William) Cummins (AKA McDonald) who was raised by his Grandmother ******** Mc Donald. John was born in 1860 "Queens County". and states that he was an apprentice painter for a company called "Matthews in Portarlington. He went on to join the army.  He married on the 2nd June 1889 to a Jane Dunne 1861-1936 also from Queens County, who also had a brother named Dennis Dunne 1870-1951 and a sister Mary Ann 1878 and lived their lives in Dublin. I am looking for any information on James or a direction to any person or organisation in the area that could assist .

Waiting
Des Cummins

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Cummins McDonald
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 07:14 BST (UK) »

He married on the 2nd June 1889 to a Jane Dunne 1861-1936 also from Queens County....

Link to the 1889 marriage-

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1889/10734/5913854.pdf

John Cummins a labourer and living at 18A Charlemont Street.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 10:15 BST (UK) »
‘They had children…’

May help searchers
1855 22nd April
Joseph

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634552#page/70/mode/1up

1858 14th March
Elizabeth - Bridget McDonnell - a Cummins sponsor

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634552#page/83/mode/1up

I can’t see John yet
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 10:21 BST (UK) »
I thought it was familiar - lots of information about the family on the previous thread
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=798230.0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Des Cummins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi All.
Thank you so much for the replies, you are so good to give your time. Since my first post I have come along way in finding out about the Cummins + McDonald connections, in Queens County but, cannot get past John Cummins, an apprentice painter with Matthews in Portarlington prior to him joining the army. We know that his Farther died in 1861 when John was only one year old and his mother Bridget left for New York taking her older children with her leaving John to be raised by his Grandmother  ****** Mc Donald. I cannot find Bridget's Mother or Family nor the death of James, his father, There are two marriages I have found one a "Bess Md Donald" another a "Bridget" marrying a James Cummins at different times??? Conundrum... which is it without proof of Bridget's parents I cannot proceed. I would love the birth and death cert of James Cummins died 1861. Could it be he died away, say in the Army? Is there anywhere in Laois that may have "local" records.

Again many thanks
Des Cummins       

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 22:09 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births and deaths in Ireland didn't start until 1864.

See other thread for the details which have already been found for you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!