Author Topic: Wife of Gavin Jack - drowning near Wick 1854  (Read 897 times)

Offline mimbobryant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wife of Gavin Jack - drowning near Wick 1854
« on: Wednesday 14 September 22 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I am new to rootschat but have been really enjoying digging into my family tree recently whilst on maternity leave! It seems like a veritable treasure trove of information! There is a branch on my Dad's side that come from the Wick and Canisbay area.

I have come across a brief news article which I believe is about my 4x Great Grandparents Gavin born c.1790 and Flora Jack (nee Stuart) born c.1803. Gavin was a Pilot in Pulteneytown Wick and his wife was apparently found drowned according to this newspaper article. I am wondering if there is any way to get more information about this incident from somewhere, possibly some kind of "police" records if the cause of death would have been investigated at all? I have been searching for a death registration for her but realise it took place just before statutory death registration came in - nothing on Ancestry or Scotlands People that I can see. I haven't been able to find her listed in any monument inscription webpages so far either but as Gavin died a pauper I imagine there may not have been money for a headstone.

The article says:

BODY FOUND - On Saturday forenoon a body was seen floating in the water at a little distance from the back of the South Quay. As there was a good deal of surf running at the time, there was some difficulty in reaching the spot; but a boat's crew of able fishermen and pilots having succeeded, they got the body taken into the harbour, when it was recognised as that of the wife of Gavin Jack, pilot, Pulteneytown, who had been amissing from her own house since the night of Tuesday fortnight. The body was conveyed to Wick, and in the evening it was decently interred in the churchyrd. The deceased was justly respected, and the sad event has created considerable excitement in both towns."

Northern Ensign and Weekly Gazette - Thursday 8th June 1854

I think it must be the right Gavin Jack because I know he was a Pilot in Pulteneytown from their marriage register, and Flora is listed on the 1851 census, but Gavin died in 1860 and was listed as a widower by then. I can't find her on any later censuses.

Any ideas of where I might look for further details of this incident, if anywhere?

Many thanks!

PS. If anyone is also interested in this branch of the family, Gavin and Flora's daughter Flora born c.1836 was my 3 x G Grandmother, married to John Leonard, soldier (and deserter from) the 3rd Hussars. Would love to connect!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Wife of Gavin Jack - drowning near Wick 1854
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 22 22:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you seen the news story in the North British Daily Mail - Saturday 10 June 1854? It gives a little more detail to the circumstaces of her drowing which was thought to be suicide.

The family were due to be evicted from the house they have lived in for 20 years and it would seem that things became too much for her.

Sad story.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mimbobryant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wife of Gavin Jack - drowning near Wick 1854
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 September 22 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Wow thank you so much for finding that for me, I hadnt seen it already, I think I had filtered to only search the area for news articles on BNA so its hekpful to know i might find relevant stuff with a wider area search. I have found it now with the reference you provided.

A really sad story, but kind of good to know a bit more detail. I wish they mentioned her name instead of her just being the wife of Gavin Jack but I know it was a different time!

Thanks again!