Author Topic: Seeking help with ANNE JONES and son WILLIAM in BERRIEW/WELSHPOOL 1859-61  (Read 10775 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,
I have chased a lot of red herrings with this research because of similar Welsh names etc so thought I should consult the experts. My name is Geoff Turner and I live in Brisbane, Australia. My great grandfather William Alexander (Billy) Jones was baptised at Berriew on 16 Oct 1859. There was no father listed so he took the surname of his mother, Anne Jones, who I know from Census returns was born at Berriew about 1838. Anne married Thomas Morris, possibly in Welshpool in 1860, and the 7 Apr 1861 Census describes the family as living at Abbey, Shrewsbury Rd, Gungrog Fawr, Montgomery: Thomas Morris, 33, b Llanerfyl, Montgomery. Ag labourer. Anne Morris, 23, b Berriew, Montgomery - wife. William A Jones, 1, b  Berriew, Montgomery - Anne's son. Jane Morris, 6 months, b Welshpool, Montgomery - daughter. Note that William retains his Jones surname and is described as Jane's son. (Also note that Anne Jones married Thomas Morris, not Evan Morris -- it seems a few people have been confused by that.)
I have been able to follow Anne's daughter Jane Morris through her marriage and family and so on, so that's not a worry. We know through other evidence (photo albums, newspaper obits, family stories) that William went to live in Heath Town, Wolverhampton, before emigrating to Australia when he was about 19, in 1879. The Wolverhampton family was headed by John Jones (b Berriew 1837), and I believe he was probably Anne's brother. William's wife's photo album has passed down through the family and it contains pictures of John Jones' daughter Zillah Annie (described in the album as his "sister Gillian", whereas she was actually his "cousin Zillah Annie") and Zillah's husband James Gleve and the Gleve children. I suppose if he lived with his cousin it would be like having her as a sister. 
So after a lot of red herrings I have that pretty well sorted. William does not appear on the Wolverhampton family's Census in return in 1871, so presumably he was still in Wales. The obits say he worked as a miner in Wales before working in the steel mills in Wolverhampton, then emigrating, so it is possible he was living away from his mother but not yet with his uncle.
But I have not been able to find documents relating to Anne Morris (nee Jones) after the 1861 Census. Nor have I been able to find a burial for her. I guess what I'm hoping to find out is whether William left Wales because his mother had died, or whether he left because he didn't fit in with the Morris family. And in any case I'd like to find what happened to my 2 x great grandmother.
I know the family in Australia kept up contact with Zillah and her family, but not William's mother -- possibly because she had died.
As always, any help gratefully appreciated.
Geoff Turner.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help with ANNE JONES and son WILLIAM in BERRIEW/WELSHPOOL 1859-61
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 22 09:44 BST (UK) »

Anne married Thomas Morris, possibly in Welshpool in 1860, and the 7 Apr 1861 Census describes the family as living at Abbey, Shrewsbury Rd, Gungrog Fawr, Montgomery: Thomas Morris, 33, b Llanerfyl, Montgomery. Ag labourer. Anne Morris, 23, b Berriew, Montgomery - wife. William A Jones, 1, b  Berriew, Montgomery - Anne's son. Jane Morris, 6 months, b Welshpool, Montgomery - daughter. Note that William retains his Jones surname and is described as Jane's son. (Also note that Anne Jones married Thomas Morris, not Evan Morris -- it seems a few people have been confused by that.)
I have been able to follow Anne's daughter Jane Morris through her marriage and family and so on, so that's not a worry.

But I have not been able to find documents relating to Anne Morris (nee Jones) after the 1861 Census.

Sorry, this is just a couple of questions.
You mention the marriage as ‘possibly around Welshpool’. Does that mean you don’t have it?
You say Ann married Thomas not Evan.
There is a possible marriage
1860 June 1860 where Evan Morris and Ann Jones are on the same page.
Have you checked this?
You have Jane and her family through/after marriage.
Where is she in 1871?
Who does she give as her father on her marriage?

I am sure you know that there is a family in 1871 5623 /66/7
Evan and Ann with daughter Jane 10 yrs plus other children.
The birthplaces don’t match though for Evan/Thomas.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 22 10:12 BST (UK) »
I don’t have the 1860 marriage. I just know she was unmarried in 1859 when she had William and married in the 1861 Census. I spent a lot of time on the Evan Morris lead (1860 marriage) but that was a red herring.
I know Jane Morris married David Williams in Oct-Nov-Dec 1882 in Llanfyllin, Montgomeryshire. All I have is the marriage index. I didn’t find her in the 1871 Census.
Thanks for the interest. Geoff

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 22 10:37 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate for Jane might help to make sure you are on the right track with the family.

There is a baptism for Jane Morris , January 27th 1861. Her parents are Evan and Ann and the residence is Gungrog Fawr.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 22 10:57 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I can only see the index for Thomas, Ann and William A in 1861. The image doesn’t seem to be the right one and I have tried going back but can’t see them.
Do you have an address other than the township of Gungrog Fawr?
Evan and family are also in that township in 1871.

https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23007

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 September 22 11:06 BST (UK) »
Jane was six months old on 7 Apr 1861 (Census night). So born about 7 Oct 1860. Could have been baptised 27 Jan 1861. That’s all good. But we keep coming back to Thomas/Evan Morris. I think Evan and Thomas are two different people.
I’m in Australia so don’t have open access to Welsh records through my Ancestry subscription.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 September 22 11:16 BST (UK) »
The Census transcription is on Findmypast

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 September 22 11:19 BST (UK) »
I can see the baptisms for the other children to Evan and Ann - in keeping with 1871 census.
I agree re the difficulties with Evan, Thomas, ages and places of birth.

I don’t know if it would help seeing the 1861 census page but it is a nuisance not to find them.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 September 22 11:22 BST (UK) »
Ah, that helps - Abbey.
1871 shows Evan and Co are living at Abbey Bank. This address also features in the children’s  baptisms.