Author Topic: Stantons of Wroxeter  (Read 193 times)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stantons of Wroxeter
« on: Tuesday 20 September 22 07:18 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to tell me if there are significant gaps in the Wroxeter parish registers?

I am currently researching the Stanton family, headed by Thomas Stanton, a carpenter and wheelwright. He had a daughter, Isabel, who was baptised in 1672. Isabel’s mother was named Ann but I haven’t found a marriage between Thomas and Ann yet.

I have Thomas’ will dated 1704 in which he mentions his daughter, Isabel, his wife, Martha, and two younger daughters, Mary and Margaret. So presumably his first wife died and he later married Martha. Mary and Margaret were said to be under 21 at the time so they are possibly Martha’s daughters rather than Ann’s. Thomas also mentioned a brother, William Stanton.

If it wasn’t for the Will, I wouldn’t be aware of any of these people as I am really struggling to find any mention of the Stanton’s in the parish registers.  ??? ???

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stantons of Wroxeter
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 10:31 BST (UK) »
These are the records you mention on https://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/Wroxeter.html#vI

1672 Sep. 1. Isabell, d. of Thomas Stanton & Anne ... bap.

1704, Apr. 15. Thomas Stanton, carpenter ... bur.

No other Stanton’s before or after that I can see but they may have been born/married elsewhere.

Same on freereg.

Isabell STANTON   Baptism   01 Sep 1672   Shropshire   Wroxeter : St Andrew : Unspecified
Parents Thomas & Anne

Thomas STANTON   Burial   15 Apr 1704   Shropshire   Wroxeter : St Andrew : Unspecified
Carpenter, Buried in woollen

This on freereg.

Isabel STANTON to Richard HARRIS   Marriage   16 Feb 1697   Shropshire   Atcham : St Eata :

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 10:36 BST (UK) »
FreeREG has 8 records in Wroxeter mostly burials.

Use soundex also as 2 are under Staunton.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
Here's a few snippets I can see.
Martha Stanton remarried ? at Uppington  13.10.1705 to Thomas Upton day labourer of Wroxeter
She was buried at Wroxeter 12.6.1706 wife of Thomas Upton day labourer.

Burials at Wroxeter
William 14.1.1637
John 20.1.1649
Mary 19.4.1658
Isabell 9.4.1660 widow a very old woman
Thomas? Senior 1670 of Wroxeter
There seem to be no other marriages or baptisms other than what you have.

Ciderdrinker

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you all.

Yes, my Isabel did marry Richard Harris and that's how she's referred to in her father's will.

I wonder if the Thomas Stanton Sr buried in 1670 was Thomas' father? The 1660 Isabel burial is also interesting... It does make me wonder what they classed as "a very old woman" in the 17th century  ;D