Author Topic: Licences for Public Houses  (Read 1286 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Licences for Public Houses
« on: Saturday 24 September 22 09:05 BST (UK) »
     I am trying to find out more about The Engineers Arms inn, Swindon. It is to be seen in the 1851 Census but it was uninhabited which makes thing a bit more difficult. It may be the same building as Spur lodge in the 1861 Census.
     Licences are required for public houses. Are records of their being granted recorded somewhere as distinct from a comment in a newspaper?
     I would be pleased for any help or indicators. Toby.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Licences for Public Houses
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 22 10:13 BST (UK) »
Not sure about license records, however there is a mention in 1845 of William SMITH of the Engineers' Arms, Swindon Station license not being renewed as it was not a substantial building, but merely a  "wooden shed"

Thursday,  Oct. 2, 1845
Publication: Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette

Modified to add:
Mr RIGBY was the landlord.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 22 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks maddys52. That's a good start but not what I was hoping for. However, I suppose that a stone building in 1871 may have replaced a wooden shack of 1845. More work needed. T

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 September 22 11:03 BST (UK) »
There are also some articles that mention a Mr RIGBY building refreshment rooms at Swindon. Whilst not necessarily on the land where the wooden shed was, I wonder if it is the same Mr RIGBY and how much property he had in Swindon. The case is about the Western Railway changing the timetable so that trains won't stop long enough for passengers to use the refreshment rooms.

" ... The plaintiffs were the persons entitled to the benefit of a covenant contained in an indenture entered into between the company and Messrs. Rigby in 1841, on the faith of which Messrs. Rigby erected refreshment rooms at Swindon at a cost of 25,000l. Under an assignment dated the 8th of August 1848, the plaintiffs became entitled to the benefit of that agreement ..."
Friday,  Nov. 10, 1871
Publication: The Standard

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 September 22 11:08 BST (UK) »
Try contacting Wiltshire Archives. 

Records were certainly kept of Alehouse licences.  Ancestry have West Yorkshire (1771-1962) from West Yorkshire Archive Service, Surrey (1785-1903) from Surrey History Centre, and Dorset (1754-1821) from Dorset History Centre.

ADDED:

FindMyPast have Cambridgeshire.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 September 22 11:08 BST (UK) »
Just realised the refreshment rooms seem to predate the non-renewal of the license of the Engineers' Arms, so I'm probably mistaken about their possible significance.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 September 22 11:38 BST (UK) »
What a pity you aren't researching Norfolk which has a very good online database of pics, names, dates, etc.

There is one website  that looks to be at the start of finding Inns, Taverns, Public House information for Wiltshire.

There is a page for pubs in the town but the tavern you are interested in isn't listed.

https://pubwiki.co.uk/Wiltshire/index.shtml
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 September 22 11:40 BST (UK) »
     Although the newspaper stated The Engineers Arms , Swindon Station, I don't think there was any connection with the railway. At that time there was precious little to be seen south of the Station up to the W. & B. canal so the newspaper's description was the best to explain roughly where the inn was.
     I shall try W.R.O at Chippenham.
 T

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 September 22 14:17 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Swindon Library?
They were very helpful for the 18 months I lived in Swindon!

Grandfather ran The Saracen's Head in Highworth ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)