Author Topic: Watters or Waters, Hugh Parents search but no luck...help please?  (Read 24563 times)

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watters or Waters, Hugh Parents search but no luck...help please?
« on: Tuesday 27 September 22 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Searching (mainly) for Hugh Waters/Watters birth somewhere between Ayrshire, Lanarkshire (Govan Parish) hopefully. I've been searching mainly on Scotlandspeople.

So far;
Hugh Waters marriage to Isabella Howie Fisher in Riccarton, Ayrshire 16 Aug 1850.
He is recorded as being from Govan Parish. (not sure if this means 'currently from' OR 'born in' Govan Parish.
I haven't found any birth that is a likely match and I have no idea how old he was at his marriage. I'm having a lot of trouble with Hugh...

I have found Isabella's siblings (so far 7 of them) her parents were John Fisher & Margaret Gemmel (Gimmel, Gemmill, Gammel). Isabella's family appear in the 1841, 1851 & 1861 census but Isabella only appears in the 1841 census as she married in 1850 and I haven't found her with husband, Hugh Waters in any census, yet.

I have the birth of Isabella Howie Fisher and have attached the image - just wondering if there is any reason for the name Howie Fisher to be in the Surname column when the Howie is also listed as her second name?

I also have worked out an age range for Isabella's parents from the 1841, '51 & '61 census' as John Fisher 1785-1791 and Margaret Gemmel as being 1789-1801.

If anyone has any advice on where to next, that'd be lovely.
I have been told that we have a Spanish link somewhere but I've yet to find that!

HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Watters or Waters, Hugh Parents search but no luck...help please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 12:14 BST (UK) »
Any children born to the 1850 marriage?  What occupation is shown for Hugh on the birth entries?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hugh and Isabella Walters (not Waters) on 1851 census Govan, Lanark both aged 23.
hmcc

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 12:32 BST (UK) »
Two Hugh Walters born 1821 and 1826 Glasgow toWalter Walters and Jean Crawford on SP.
hmcc.

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 12:41 BST (UK) »
Any children born to the 1850 marriage?  What occupation is shown for Hugh on the birth entries?

There was one daughter, (that I know of) Margaret born in 1854. I don't have her birth certificate yet but Hugh, Isabella and Margaret (and possibly Isabella's sister, Sarah Fisher) migrated to Australia and Hugh is listed as Labourer. Pretty broad but will keep looking..should the 1854 birth certificate for Margaret have Fathers Occupation listed?
Thanks for the input :)

Have downloaded the certificate and doesn't list Father's Occupation, it does confirm the spelling of Margaret Gemmill Waters and her registration in Glasgow Eglington street United Succession church.
Haven't located any children after their moving to Australia.
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hugh and Isabella Walters (not Waters) on 1851 census Govan, Lanark both aged 23.
hmcc
HMCC, I guess spelling mistakes are to be expected, I've had more spelling possibilities with this line than any other! That sounds likely.

Two Hugh Walters born 1821 and 1826 Glasgow toWalter Walters and Jean Crawford on SP.
hmcc.
I had a Jean Crawford come up on search, is it logical to stick with the Govan Parish? If not, there are quite a few other options (my knowledge of the area is doubtful but I'm learning), I will check out the walters and crawford certificate and see what comes up.
Thanks for the input :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 13:01 BST (UK) »

"Hugh, Isabella and Margaret (and possibly Isabella's sister, Sarah Fisher) migrated to Australia and Hugh is listed as Labourer."

What details do you have for their arrival.......ship......port of arrival....date.

What children did they have in Australia?

Where and when did Hugh and Isabella die?

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 13:10 BST (UK) »
The baptism is on Scotlands People other churches  for their daughter Margaret Gemmill Watters born 11 September 1854
Eglinton Street United Seccession  Glasgow baptism 1 October .Parents Hugh Watters and Isabella Fisher .It would be worth viewing to see what information is there

Rosie

Amended

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hugh Watters died 29 August 1897 Hawker South Australia

Isabella Watters died 31 August 1927 Adelaide South Australia

Arrival 23 April 1860 South Australia ship Grand Trianon
Hugh Watters age 31 Labourer /Carter
Isabella Watters
Margaret Watters

Rosie