Author Topic: Looking for Birth of Peter McCall 1810 and marriage to Catherine Divine  (Read 600 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Birth of Peter McCall 1810 and marriage to Catherine Divine
« on: Wednesday 12 October 22 22:38 BST (UK) »
Peter McCall was born in Ireland in 1810. I havent been able to find a birth for him.
Sometime between 1846-1851 Peter and his wife settled in Northumberland,
On the 1851 census his wife Catherine was running a boarding house in Morpeth, She had 5 of their children living with her Ann born in 1834, John in 1837, Ellen 1839, Elizabeth 1841 and Catherine in 1844. All of the children were born in Ireland and from later census know they could have been born in Tyrone. On the 1851 census Peter was working in Durham as a cattle jabber,
By 1861 Peter and Catherine were living at Glebe Row Bedlington Northumberland. They had a daughter Margaret in 1852, aon Peter 1853. Twin boys Joseph and James in 1856 who sadly both died aged 8 months old. Ellen their daughter died in 1858 aged 19 and they had another daughter they named Ellen in the same year. From the births of the later children I know the mothers maiden name was Divine but I havent been able to find a marriage for a Peter McCall and Catherine Divine. I would be grateful if one of you good people could help

Offline LucasKernan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy Research since 2019
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Birth of Peter McCall 1810 and marriage to Catherine Divine
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 22 00:11 BST (UK) »
Peter died in 1869:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2JXH-8X3
I also found a 1861 Census record of his family:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7VJ-Z2D
There is a record where it lists his last name as McCaul:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6XLS-VSLV
Kernan, Matys, Müller, Werner

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 22 00:53 BST (UK) »
Is this your family?

Ancestry Census England 1851      at Market Place Morpeth Northumberland
McCALL Catherine   34y head  married  lodging house keeper     b. Scotland
McCALL Ann           17y  dau                                                          "   
McCALL John          14y  son                                                          "
McCALL Ellen          12y  dau                                                         "
McCALL Elizabeth    10y  dau                                                         "
McCALL Catherine     7y  dau                                                          "

Ancestry Census England 1861      at Glebe Row  Bedlington Northumberland
McCALL Peter             5*y   mason's labourer         b. Ireland
McCALL Catherine       45y                                    b.      -
McCALL Margaret          9y  dau                            b. Morpeth  Northumberland
McCALL Peter               7y   son                            b.     -
McCALL Ellen                3y   dau                            b. Bedlington Northumberland
DIVINE William           28y  lodger  brickmaker       b. Ireland
McLAUGHLIN James    21y lodger  miner                b. Ireland

Where is Catherine, aged 7y at 1851?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 22 05:41 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately a lot of the 30 or so RC parishes in Tyrone don’t have any records for the years when this couple married, or when they were baptised. That may be why you cannot find any records for them. I chose a few at random. Termonamongan, for example, has none before 1863, Langfield 1846 and Cappagh 1843.
Elwyn

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 October 22 22:36 BST (UK) »
Is this your family?

Ancestry Census England 1851      at Market Place Morpeth Northumberland
McCALL Catherine   34y head  married  lodging house keeper     b. Scotland
McCALL Ann           17y  dau                                                          "   
McCALL John          14y  son                                                          "
McCALL Ellen          12y  dau                                                         "
McCALL Elizabeth    10y  dau                                                         "
McCALL Catherine     7y  dau                                                          "

Ancestry Census England 1861      at Glebe Row  Bedlington Northumberland
McCALL Peter             5*y   mason's labourer         b. Ireland
McCALL Catherine       45y                                    b.      -
McCALL Margaret          9y  dau                            b. Morpeth  Northumberland
McCALL Peter               7y   son                            b.     -
McCALL Ellen                3y   dau                            b. Bedlington Northumberland
DIVINE William           28y  lodger  brickmaker       b. Ireland
McLAUGHLIN James    21y lodger  miner                b. Ireland

Where is Catherine, aged 7y at 1851?

Hi yes this is the correct family. I think that the 1851 census though it says Scotland should read Ireland. Catherine does not appear in the 1861 census. She married Bernard Carr in 1862 in Cowpen, Northumberland, Later census it says she was born in Strawban which could be Strawbane, Tyrone

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 22 22:55 BST (UK) »
Strawbane seems to me to be likely to be Strabane, Co Tyrone. There are several RC parishes around that area. You can view them on John Grenham,’s website, but the underlying fact is that most don’t have any records for the years you need:

https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?county=Tyrone&parish=Leckpatrick&churchid=372

No easy way around that.

Elwyn

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 October 22 12:01 BST (UK) »
Strawbane seems to me to be likely to be Strabane, Co Tyrone. There are several RC parishes around that area. You can view them on John Grenham,’s website, but the underlying fact is that most don’t have any records for the years you need:

https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?county=Tyrone&parish=Leckpatrick&churchid=372

No easy way around that.

Thankyou for your help Elwyn. I will have a look through these. Hopefully if anything I might be able to find maybe Catherines birth in 1844