Author Topic: Naval Records Question  (Read 4584 times)

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
Naval Records Question
« on: Friday 21 October 22 17:12 BST (UK) »
Received my Dads records for WW2 sometime ago and just now having a good look at where he served.  From Apr 44 t0 Jul 44 he was assigned to Duty LSE 2 and then to Naval Party 1529. He was assigned to other ships prior to and after these dates.  They did provide details of Naval Party 1529 but I do not see anything that refers to LSE 2.  Thanks for reading.
BARRIE - Rutherglen     BENNETT - Wigtown, Glasgow
BURKE  - Lanarkshire, Ireland   CAMERON - Renfrew
CURLE - Dumfries    FRATER - Lesmahagow 
GENTLES - Sterling    GOLDIE - Paisley
GRAHAM - Roxburgh    HASTIE -Edinburgh
KERR  - Glencorse and Cambuslang
LOWRIE - Rutherglen and Ireland
McDONALD - Edinburgh and Cambuslang
MOYIES - Rutherglen    PICKEN - Kilmarnock
RAEBURN - Kilmarnock, Glasgow    SCOTT - Glasgow

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naval Records Question
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 22 17:27 BST (UK) »
Landing Ship Emergency Repair LSE 2 (previously USS ARL-6)

See:
https://www.navsource.org/archives/10/19/1906.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_ARL-6
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 22 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shaun.  I did not even consider a Ship.  I do have a couple of other questions but will be away from my computer until tomorrow.

Anna

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 22 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hello again, I have a group photo taken at Havant 1944 showing my Dad with a mix of US and UK regiments.  Would this have been when Naval Party 1529 was formed?  The records say “Formed at Chatham embarking in LSE2 in May 1944.  The Party operated from the Normandy Coast between 6 Jun 1944 and Oct 1944 then was based at Boulogne until mid Apr 1945…During this period my Dad seemed to be on HMS Odyssey for a week or two at a time.  He was acting stoker first class.  Why would this happen?  Thanks again!

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 October 22 16:05 BST (UK) »
I have a group photo taken at Havant 1944 showing my Dad with a mix of US and UK regiments.  Would this have been when Naval Party 1529 was formed?  The records say “Formed at Chatham embarking in LSE2 in May 1944.  The Party operated from the Normandy Coast between 6 Jun 1944 and Oct 1944 then was based at Boulogne until mid Apr 1945…During this period my Dad seemed to be on HMS Odyssey for a week or two at a time.  He was acting stoker first class.  Why would this happen? 
A Naval Party is just another name for a Naval Detachment. Small in size and often not commanded by a Navy officer, it would probably have been administered (fed, housed etc) by another unit, either Royal Navy or Army in this case. From the dates and the type of ship involved it looks like this Party was involved in the post D-Day cross channel operations, probably ferrying British and American soldiers and equipment to France to augment the Army's breakout into Normandy. Since it was formed in Chatham, this may suggest that the Army component was Royal Engineers. They would have been responsible for making up and operating the pontoons and bridging which may have supplemented the Mulberry harbours to which the LSEs and other ships and craft etc docked on the French side of the channel. This would have been necessary until the Allies had captured a French port such as Cherbourg, capable of handling conventional cargo ships. Since the Germans had destroyed most of the port facilities at Cherbourg and elsewhere, it wasn't until early September 1944 that the British Forces no longer needed to rely on the Mulberry harbours. More details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_logistics_in_the_Normandy_campaign

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 October 22 16:59 BST (UK) »
Dad seemed to be on HMS Odyssey for a week or two at a time.  He was acting stoker first class.  Why would this happen?  Thanks again!

Naval personnel on those detatchments would have their account based ashore. So his pay and admin base would have been HMS ODYSSEY, it is just the way the navy do things.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 October 22 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy and Hugh.  After Naval Party 1529 the record says Duty Fanshore then Naval Party 1741 from Oct 4, 1945 until 2 Feb 1946  There was no explanation for 1741 included but a Google search indicates Royal Caroline, Lubeck, Royal Naval Officer in charge?  Where would I look for more information on this?  My searches are turning up WW1 and earlier.  I am trying to write a short biography of my Dads life to attach to his profile.  He never talked about his time in the Navy and I regret not having asked when I had the opportunity.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 October 22 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think it would be "Duty Funshore".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/70/a8196870.shtml
http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/combined-operations-bombardment-unit-sword-beach.62481/

NP 1741 - http://www.naval-history.net/xBW-RNNavalParties.htm

NAVAL OFFICER IN CHARGE Lubeck Chelsea Court SW 3 11.44-04.45/pass CCA 04.45/Bourg Leopold 05.45/Ostend 02.05.45/Travemunde 05.05.45 (NAVAL OFFICER IN CHARGE arrived 02.05)/Lubeck 06 – 08.45/ROYAL CAROLINE 06.05.45 – 11.46/NP cont as ROYAL NAVAL OFFICER Lubeck to 02.48
{ROYAL CAROLINE Commissioned 06.05.45 – PAID OFF 12.46}

https://baor-locations.org/RNLubeck.aspx.html

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO