Author Topic: Johns from Llangollen  (Read 2999 times)

Offline andrewjohns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Johns from Llangollen
« on: Tuesday 06 September 05 13:18 BST (UK) »
gday all,

I am very new to all of this, but I was wondering if someone out there knows anything about the name Johns from Llangollen in North Wales? My Great Granfather, Daniel Johns, lived there before immigrating to New South Wales in Australia in about 1907. He was born, I assume in Llangollen in about 1870 and married an Elizabeth Anne Bowen. Id appeciate any help anyone can offer - even a guide in the right direction would be good!

Cheers, Andrew

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Johns from Llangollen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 16:25 BST (UK) »
How do you know he was born in 1870?

You should be able to find him on the 1871 - 1901 census.

Did he marry before he emigrated?

1881 is either on www.familysearch.com or www.ancestry.co.uk, as should be his birth and marriage, if he married in the UK.

Armed with the dates of birth and marraige, you can then order the certificates.

Hope thats not too much to start with. Any questions, just ask away.

D

Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline andrewjohns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Johns from Llangollen
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.

He was married in Wales before he emigrated and my father recalls that he was born in 1875 or 1880 (the legend goes that he was 5 years older than he told everyone else he was). Will check out the sites you have listed.

Thanks again.

Andrew