Author Topic: Melted metal object - original use?  (Read 7415 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Melted metal object - original use?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 November 22 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully you can get the photo posted here but in the meantime I suggest the mystery item might be almost any item which was found in the ruins of the family home.
My cousin Thomas had a stone which was handed down from our great-grandmother. When she was leaving the family home in Ireland her brother Thomas picked up a pebble and threw it into the carriage for her to remember home. Fortunately there was also a note explaining the story and one of Tommy's children has it now (almost 150 years late).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 November 22 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Erato, I do not have Microsoft Office.  But, thank you for suggesting the idea and explaining how I would edit it!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 November 22 00:12 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey, that is such a sweet story.  I would imagine that the stone is one of the family’s most treasured items. I am very sentimental so I think your stone story is amazing.

While looking around my living room for any special family items, I saw the mantel clock that my parents received as a wedding gift from my dad’s parents.  It’s not the prettiest clock to begin with, it is missing a rather prominent trim piece and hasn’t kept time for years, but it means the world to me.

Regarding the metal item, I don’t believe the grandfather was well off and most likely was living in a (divided) house with other families. Due to the ravaged burn area, I would think that it would be more likely that the item was in his daughter’s house. However, it could have been found anywhere: on a road, in the park where they had to live after the earthquake and fire, a work mate could have given it to him, it might not even be from the 1906 fire.  However, it is a rather odd looking piece.  If I eventually figure out how to post the photos, others might agree (about it being odd).  Thank you for sharing, aghadowey.  I love your story.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 November 22 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Neale1961, I will look at it now. Thank you!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 November 22 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, does this help?
https://www.howtogeek.com/726913/how-to-resize-or-reduce-photo-size-on-iphone-and-ipad/

I think I missed a step as I can’t finish the process.  Family should be home soon. Hopefully, I can get help to figure out what I missed. 

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 November 22 16:41 GMT (UK) »
…After a relative passed away, we found in her family keepsake box what appears to be a small melted metal object. There is no one left in the family to ask questions about the object.

…next to the object was a burned coin wrapped in paper with the words “from the earthquake” (or similar words).  The family lived in San Francisco and they were there during the 1906 earthquake.  At some point, the grandfather left his residence to help his daughter’s family flee their neighbourhood. His neighbourhood was ultimately destroyed during the fire…

I am wondering if there are any suggestions of what this could have been before it melted/burned, please, as it seems to have a shape rather than a solid mass. It must have been important as it has possibly been in the family for 100+ years.

Note: the colours in the photo are a bit off. The object is actually a darker brown and doesn’t have the colour variations. 

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 November 22 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I have one more photo, of the “back” of the object but it is too large (522 kb) to post.  I can have my son reduce it (this week) if it will help seeing both sides.

Apologies about the large size of the above photo, I know that it is difficult to view but I didn’t know how to make it more compact. The actual object doesn’t look as scary.  ;)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 November 22 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a skeleton key?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee