Author Topic: Juliana and John Dawson of Whitehaven - Siblings?  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Kendra71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Juliana and John Dawson of Whitehaven - Siblings?
« on: Saturday 26 November 22 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I hope you can help me. I am trying to establish the relationship between two members of the Dawson family in Cumberland, both born early 1800s.
* Juliana Dawson (24 Apr 1808 - 29 Dec 1863)
* John Dawson (20 Nov 1803 - Oct 1874)

Juliana married James McMinn (1804-1848, merchant mariner and Campbell clan member through his mother Mary) at St Nicholas, Whitehaven on 11 Dec 1835.
James McMinn then carried sugar regularly between Antigua and Whitehaven on his brig the Campbell for merchant George Dawson (1774-1838). George Dawson was childless, and left his Whitehaven merchant business to his nephew, John Dawson (1803-1874), son of his brother Robert and Mary Barwise.

I suspect that Juliana Dawson was John Dawson's sister. Both appear to have parents Robert Dawson and Mary (possibly Barwise), but I'm struggling to get further than that.
Many thanks.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Juliana and John Dawson of Whitehaven - Siblings?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 22 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kendra
I can see a baptism for John Dawson at Whitehaven age 1 4th Jan 1804 son of Robert and  Mary Dawson.
The couples marriage licence is in Liverpool.Diocise Of Chester  28.7.1798
Robert Dawson mariner  of Liverpool age of 21 and over bachelor and Mary Barwise of St Bees Whitehaven Cumberland aged 21 years and over spinster.
To be married St Pauls Liverpool
They married there on the 29th.
Both signed
wit Richard Watson ,Edward Coventry ,Thomas Richaughton/Richardson  and Sarah Coleman

Looking at their children I can find
John born 1803 bapt 1804 Whitehaven
George 9.4.1815 Whitehaven
Robert 29 June 1817 Whitehaven
possibly Adam at Caldbeck 14 Dec 1818 and William 11.3.1821 but it is inland so unlikely.

Given that George is an annuitant on the 1851 census I'm presuming Robert died before that.(George married Sarah Bouch 1840 Whitehaven and that may mention if Robert is still alive)

Julianna gives her birthplace as Liverpool on the 1851 census.
The family seem to have had a mass christening at St Pauls Liverpool 25 Sep 1808
Mary Ann born 18.11.1799
Jane 26 June 1801
Juliana 24 April 1808   
Robert and Mary  mariner St Pauls Square.
So they had at least 6 children and John and Juliana are siblings.
Because it would be pushing coincidence quite far that there would be two Robert and Mary Dawsons at St Paul's Liverpool one marrying ,the other having children ,both mariners with a connection to Whitehaven.
Juliana's marriage announcement names her as the daughter of the late Capt Robert Dawson 2 Jan 1836 Carlisle Journel.

Obviously a nice juicy Will for Robert would help.

I'll keep looking

Ciderdrinker

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 22 11:34 GMT (UK) »
A marriage at Whitehaven St James 29th Jan 1831 John Dawson to Elizabeth BARWISE
this fits quite well with your John Dawson since he married an Elizabeth (1851 census) and their eldest child George was born approx 1833.

So, another admittedly tenuous, link between Juliana (mmn Barwise) and John (wife's mn Barwise)
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 22 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Looking at the newspapers it looks as though Mary Dawson died 10 Nov 1838 at Whitehaven.Carlisle Journal.Widow of Capt Robert Dawson of Antigua Packet

His death 26 October 1830 of advanced age at his house at Moresby.Captain Dawson was for many years in the W.Indies trade.
Struggling to find burials on line for Whitehaven

Ciderdrinker

Offline Kendra71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 22 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ciderdrinker, for your excellent reply. I noticed the mass christening. It’s funny - seems like they baptised the boys one by one but then the girls en made. I think my mistake partly has been trying to make sense of this with a headache! Marrying cousins seems quite common so the names weave in and out unhelpfully as you’ve seen AlanBoyd.
Thanks again

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 22 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Kendra, the link between sugar and the Barwise family began somewhat earlier than your current research, but may be significant.

"Sir James Lowther persuaded a Mr Barwise to set up a sugarhouse in Whitehaven in 1712, to refine small amounts for local consumption. Lowther's motives were far from disinterested for he sold coal to Barwise. The boiler continued in operation until 1726 when Barwise moved to Workington. It was then taken over by William & John Gilpin, the former a son and the latter a son or brother of Lowther's former steward. Sugar boiling continued thereafter ..." - [JV Beckett - Coal & Tobacco, CUP 1981]

Richard Barwise of Workington bankrupt 1728 - [Stamford Mercury]

The Lowther/Barwise sugarhouse was in Duke St, the later one of Johnston & Manley in Catherine St ... sugar was refined in Whitehaven from 1712 to 1826 but probably not continuously.

www.mawer.clara.net/loc-whitehaven.html
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017