Author Topic: WW2 UK Military Records moving to Natiobs Archive  (Read 3003 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 UK Military Records moving to Natiobs Archive
« on: Saturday 03 December 22 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if anyone else has posted about this but very interesting news but the records will be locked for 115 years from each individuals date of birth.
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/mod-records-project/?fbclid=IwAR1M2sKYnEeZwUyfGv_m_lRqUtBEnbAjRWJzGieIeGFPeA9oDpHt6k_8gVs

I would hope that where the individual is deceased that you would be able to apply to view on production of proof of relationship and death.   Otherwise, for example it would be 2039 before I could see my deceased father’s records.   Whereas using the current system they would be available.

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 UK Military Records moving to Natiobs Archive
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 22 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I had missed this announcement, which was in 2021.  It applied to some 10M records where the DoB is before 1940.  This means all WW1 and WW2 records, and presumably up to approximately 1956.  The announcement does not say how access may be given before a blanket 115 year cut-off.  It looks like they have "made up" the 115 year rule to cover the oldest of soldiers, rather than to comply with any privacy regulations.
NA say they will make further announcements in time - but the scale of this move, and the indexing effort must be huge. I cannot see that there will be any motivation to scan these in bulk, so any document inspection will be at Kew, or pay-on-demand to have an individual record scanned.  As we know, military records can be quite LARGE.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 22 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I only heard of it today also , from a FB group of people with an interest in Burma and the Far East War.   People had previously noticed that the length of delays in receiving records of relatives that had been applied are steadily increasing .   I agree that it is  not likely to be digitised as well as tye 115 year rule being rather random considering the census and 1939 register have a 100 year rule.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 22 23:55 GMT (UK) »
There has been talk of this move a couple of times on rootschat.

I’m sure for family that 115 year cut off will be waived. Surely they will want these records to be easier to access rather than more difficult.  :-\

As it stands, it seems that the move to Kew is of no benefit to anyone looking for their ancestor’s service records. Would the records have been better off where they are and with the current system in place. It has been working fine for years. Cost cutting perhaps?

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 22 00:56 GMT (UK) »
One would hope so.

I would confess to not visiting the military forums frequently only when researching an ancestor/relative in the forces and other forum members have been a tremendous help
N

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 22 00:59 GMT (UK) »
One would hope so.

I would confess to not visiting the military forums frequently only when researching an ancestor/relative in the forces and other forum members have been a tremendous help
N

I agree, They’re very knowledgeable and helpful.  :)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 22 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Would the records have been better off where they are and with the current system in place. It has been working fine for years. Cost cutting perhaps?
In line with the provisions of the Public Records Act 1958, all government departments are required to transfer public records held by them to the National Archives (previously the Public Record Office) 20 years after their creation, with the exception "that any records may be retained after the said period if, in the opinion of the person who is responsible for them, they are required for administrative purposes or ought to be retained for any other special reason".
I imagine the only reason that MOD might have had for retaining the service documents of former soldiers is for the administration of pensions, and in case of any later medical claims arising from injuries while in service (eg the veterans who were involved in the atomic bomb tests in the 1950s).
I think it is the sheer volume of documents which has led to the delay in arranging the transfer.