Author Topic: Seeking info: Alexander Joass -farmer at Burnside- married Helen Ross 23/04/1774  (Read 14748 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info: Alexander Joass -farmer at Burnside- married Helen Ross 23/04/1774
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 02:24 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Bremner , step-daughter of Alexander Joass 1756 died in 1887 aged 77. She married a Lawrance but try as I may I could not find a marriage...perhaps it's lost or took place outside of Scotland.

BREMNER
ELIZABETH
MORRISON
F
153 / 2 / 38
Portsoy

----------

LAWRANCE
ELIZABETH
MORRISON
F
153 / 2 / 38
Portsoy
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info: Alexander Joass -farmer at Burnside- married Helen Ross 23/04/1774
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 02:49 BST (UK) »
A bunch of clues point to this being the Lawrance that Elizabeth Brember married ...

1851 census Banffshire  Lawrance:

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59027d76e9379091b126f438/elizabeth-lawrance-1851-banffshire-fordyce-1811-?locale=en
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline PriceNash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 06:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan, a wealth of information there.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 09:46 BST (UK) »
According to the will interpretation: Margaret Morrison was previously married but they don't mention a previous marriage for Alexander. That doesn't mean he wasn't married though...just that the will doesn't mention a first wife. Perhaps she had already passed some years previous. 
As there was, at that time, no practical way of getting divorced (it required an Act of Parliament so was out of reach of all but the wealthiest) she has to have died before he married Margaret Morrison.

There's a book, Banffshire Schools and Schoolmasters. I own a copy but can't find it. It might be worth searching to see if it's been digitised and put online.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 10:12 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Bremner , step-daughter of Alexander Joass 1756 died in 1887 aged 77. She married a Lawrance but try as I may I could not find a marriage...perhaps it's lost or took place outside of Scotland.
It could be in the Episcopal Church records of Portsoy, some of which have survived but are not on Scotland's People. I believe that they are held in the Aberdeen Diocesan Archive but I cannot be certain whether or not the registers for the dates of interest survive.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian! Appreciated.

It used to bug me how badly ancestry wanted me to put the schoolmaster in my tree as father of Walter Joass 1780 ... they repeatedly recommended it and also Ann Lumsden as being his wife. I rejected it for years. Here's proof to the contrary.

This birth in 1781 (same time as Walter Joass) shows the schoolmaster witnessing a birth of a child named Alexander to Alexander Joass of Bauds and wife Ann Lumsden.

No matter how small I resize the doc , I can't seem to post it...so I have to link to my google drive to share it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wog27GZVp5RWlhBVxxHuQv7KiGdEFfLU/view?usp=sharing

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 14:31 BST (UK) »
Alexander Craig's name comes up a bunch. He witnesses decades of births for the Joass familys of Burnside. Turns out he married a Joass named Katherine and had kids.

Same birth year as the schoolmaster 1756:

CRAIG WILLIAM
ALEXANDER CRAIG/KATHERINE JOSS
M
19/08/1756
10 / 239
Gamrie and Macduff

I'm thinking that Katherine Joass might be sister to Alexander Joass farmer of Burnside 173?-1802 (son of Beatrice Addison and Alexander Joass senior).

Has anyone found any links to Katherine Joass and the branch of Joasses we have been discussing?

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 14:41 BST (UK) »
Brainflash*

It's quite possible that Alexander Joass schoolmaster had no children ... therefore no one could claim lineage from him.  ;)

Is there any proof he married  before Margaret Morrison or procreated?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 14:49 BST (UK) »
It used to bug me how badly ancestry wanted me to put the schoolmaster in my tree as father of Walter Joass 1780 ... they repeatedly recommended it and also Ann Lumsden as being his wife. I rejected it for years.
You really don't want to get me started on the evils of Ancestry.