Author Topic: McGeown Family Lurgan  (Read 826 times)

Offline smcgeown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGeown Family Lurgan
« on: Wednesday 21 December 22 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking to see if any one would know information on the mcgeown family that lives in lurgan in the early 1800s.

I have been able to get back to a John Mcgeown born approx 1838 in Shankill, Lurgan and died approx 1889 who served in the 76th regiment of foot and when he came home married a Margaret Grimes in 1881.

Their marriage certificate says his father was a weaver called James Mcgeown and was dead before their marriage.

If there is anyone with information on this family it would be appreciated.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: McGeown Family Lurgan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 22 07:47 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just adding the links for the marriage and death of John McGeown for others that may be able to help.

The 1881 marriage indexed as Jordan.
John McGeown married Margaret Jordan (a widow MN Grimes) on 13 July 1881 at St Peter's RC Church, Lurgan.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/11008/8024937.pdf

His death record of 1889.
On 20 July 1889 at Derrytagh N (North) - a farmer aged 65 yrs. The informant a Margaret McGeown.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1889/06136/4752736.pdf

https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/oneilland-east/montiaghs/montiaghs/derrytagh-north/ (bordering Lough Neagh and NW of Lurgan)

Good luck!  :D

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline smcgeown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 22 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information, I have been trying to find out any other immediate family he has.

The oldest family records we have start with his military service and marriage. But any names on the documents as witnesses don't appear to be blood related.

So I am stuck at this point as his service record there was a query over his age and the parish records I have read I can't determine if they are correct are not as I only have his father's name to go off.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 December 22 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation (taken around 1864 in Co. Armagh) shows George, Hugh, John and Rose McGeown in Derrytagh South.  George and Hugh are side by side, tenants of Lord Lurgan.  George's land reverts to Daniel McGeown in 1872, suggesting George's death.  Rose and John are side by side, with Rose being a tenant of Lord Lurgan and John is a subtenant of Rose (perhaps a son?).  Rose's land reverts to John in 1871 and then to Lord Lurgan in 1872.

There is a death for a Rose McGeown, aged 80, in 1869, so she is likely John's mother. This record is not yet available on irishgenealogy.

There is a death for a Hugh McGeown of Derrytagh South aged 72 in 1887, married, informant is an Ellen McGeown, likely his wife

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06228/4782419.pdf

Daniel dies in 1896 aged 55, a widower of Derrytagh South, with Pat McGeown, his son, acting as informant:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05894/4672099.pdf

I would work through the relationships between these individuals to see what pops up.  There are several wills available for McGeown in Derrytagh South on PRONI's website, including one for John (altho' his is not yet imaged, so you will have to request a copy).

Offline smcgeown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 22 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen,

Thanks for the information, the Rose you have identified I think is my 4th great grandmother from another part of the family as she had brothers had cousins with then first names.

I looked at the service records I have for John and at the time the valuation was taken he was stationed in India and he didn't return until 1879.

I did look through the marriage records for the area and found a brother called Micheal from Ballynamony, Lurgan, Armagh, Northern Ireland who married an Annie McGinn (possible nee mcsherry can't read her marriage license correctly) in 1884.

However the parish records for the area  around the time they are suppose to be born are hard to read and I am struggling to confirm details as I think sections are missing or weren't picked up on the scans.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 December 22 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Although he may have been stationed abroad, he was still likely the sitting tenant in 1864 when Griffiths was taken.  Can you share some of the military info that you have?

Offline smcgeown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 December 22 23:38 GMT (UK) »
I have a chelsea pensioner sheet that has been passed through the family in storage but I have added the two pages covering his military service that I have immediate access to.

Also I had a look at the valuation for the area that his brother was from and I found a James Mcgeown as a lease holder. However, he was only a weaver so I doubt he would have had enough money for that. I did check and I come across a total of 4 James Mcgeowns in that area and I belive that record belongs to the one who is a farmer.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 December 22 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Can't access the first image; however, adding up this service it comes to around 13 years, so working back from 1879, he could have been at home in 1864.  Also, you didn't have to be wealthy to be a leaseholder especially if the lease was passed down from his father.

Offline smcgeown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 December 22 00:16 GMT (UK) »
From what I found out he was born in Dec of 1837 and signed up for the army when he was 17 years and 9 months old. Also according to his record he may of lied about his age.

When I checked both catholic parish registers for this area around late 1837 and 1838 I only could find a Micheal Mcgeown. There is a John mcgeown in late 1839 however his dad is listed as John instead of James.