Author Topic: Past landlords of The Crooked Billet, Saxton. Late 19thC?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Past landlords of The Crooked Billet, Saxton. Late 19thC?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 December 22 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to see another dialogue developing on here between Stanwix England and Maddys52.  And even more info re The Crooked Billet revealed.  And now having read the newspaper cutting that Maddys52 has very kindly PM-ed me, about that butcher's bill that was found in a beam in the pub, the date on it appears to be 1785.  So presumably that takes us back even further into the history of this pub.
All fascinating stuff.  And that Big Blow in January 1839 must have been mighty BIG and devastating.  No weather forecast on the TV in those days, of course, so the North of England had no way of knowing what was sweeping their way from Ireland....
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Past landlords of The Crooked Billet, Saxton. Late 19thC?
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 December 22 13:35 GMT (UK) »
...Maddys52's post 17 shows the Lead Chapel, which I remember walking to across the field right opposite the pub, (a mere few hundred yards away) between grazing sheep.  Not at all sure whether any of the other Lead Hall Estate buildings were still there, though.
However, when inside the medieval chapel I did wonder whether in 1461, before the dreadful Battle of Towton just up the road, any soldiers came in here to kneel in prayer.  Or whether afterwards some survivors did, in thanks for their safe deliverance.
But I don't suppose there was ale for sale an arrow's flight away at The Crooket Billet then...
Keith