Author Topic: Ancestry Sideview oddity.  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ancestry Sideview oddity.
« on: Thursday 29 December 22 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Sideview, Ancestry’s system for assigning DNA match’s to a specific parent, if their system cannot rationalise then the match is listed as Unassigned.

Doing my weekly look at my Wife’s DNA match’s, in the Unassigned section there are four images of her DNA match’s that Ancestry has not assigned.

The Oddity is two of those DNA match’s are Cousins who have been linked into her Family Tree for two and five years respectively.  The DNA Tags in my Wife’s Family Tree for both of these two Cousins have also been set.

Within the DNA match listings the Relationships have been completed and each of these two DNA match’s have been assigned to the correct parental branch.

So it looks like Ancestry’s Sideview only has partial if any integration with actual Trees.

Odd!

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Sideview oddity.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 22 15:10 GMT (UK) »
So it looks like Ancestry’s Sideview only has partial if any integration with actual Trees.

I've not seen anything that suggests that Sideview has any integration with Ancestry trees. Their explanation of the Sideview technology indicates that by comparing matches the software can phase the matching segments across base pairs. Having phased the matching sides, the other sides of each segment can be identified from the base pair values that don't match.

My own experience of the "technology" is that it seems to have become less reliable since the original iteration was pulled a short time ago and replaced a few days later.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 22 23:13 GMT (UK) »
To my Engineering brain comparing a DNA Match to my Wife should start with a simple Flowchart.

The first question being.

1 Is the DNA Match in the recipients Family Tree?

2 If yes, Is it Paternal?

3 etc

Only going on to the segment analysis is the Match is unlinked

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 December 22 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Ah, but that's not what is being attempted. Common Ancestors and Thrulines already try to do that, but with the possibility of errors introduced by incorrect information in the trees that are consulted.

Sideview doesn't actually work on a single match between two people. That single match will reveal commonality of one side of base pairs in only the specific segment lengths that match between two individuals. In itself, a single match is so small as to be insignificant, unless perhaps it involves a parent or sibling. But by comparing numerous matches with different individuals across different segments, it hopes to be able to phase your DNA to a lesser or greater extent by building a picture of the matching values known to be on one side in specific positions, and inferring the opposing values as a result.

Given enough pieces of the jigsaw, they hope to predictively phase SOME of your DNA, and yet other parts can be inferred to an extent in a similar way that partial completion of a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle may allow you to be confident that the picture is of red roses in a vase, even though you can't yet see them all.

And the software in itself cannot determine which side is maternal or paternal. It attempts to identify parent 1 and parent 2. It only gives you a maternal or paternal indication after you have allocated parent 1 and parent 2 accordingly. Get that wrong, and the whole thing falls over. Introduce the ability to compare your parental allocations with those of all the matches being used to attempt to phase your DNA, and the possibility of introducing errors by relying on decisions by random people rather than information from DNA samples that can be allocated and calculated, increases the likelihood of error exponentially.

It will probably never be perfect, and it probably works better for individuals with large numbers of matches on both sides of their family. But allowing it to make decisions based on how each match has allocated parent 1 and parent 2 (which may or may not always be correct) and how matches have been allocated to relationships in user trees (ditto) would just result in fuzzy information that wouldn't just create an error in that specific match between two individuals, but propagate across the entire attempt to phase your DNA to a lesser or greater degree.

It is just another tool which can recognise and calculate certain facts, from which it attempts to estimate and infer other parts that are missing. Given enough matches in certain positions within your DNA, it will likely become quite precise in those areas. With lower matches in other positions, there may be errors or an inability to allocate certain matches.

It's just another tool to aid your research, but as with all such tools, assertions need to be verified before you accept them as true or false. It may save you time in many cases by directing your research to one side of your tree when attempting to identify a match's relationship to you, and its aim is to be able to do that more often than not. There is still a possibility that it could send you up a creek without a paddle though ;)

As Ancestry say, for 9 our of 10 people, the results are likely to be more than 95% accurate. To put it another way, if you are one of those 9 out of 10, then perhaps 1 in every 20 parental allocations in your list of DNA matches could be wrong. If you are the other 1 out of 10, it's worse than that.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 December 22 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I find thru lines quite a good resource,but one has to be careful as relationships can be skewed depending on how the matches are designated in trees. It may say you have a half cousin when they are a full cousin or any manner of other errors. It takes a good deal of checking sometimes and has recently thrown up some real anomalies in my tree that I just can't work out.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 23 11:46 GMT (UK) »
They seem to have updated Sideview as today we got a PopUp saying that they had assigned some previously unassigned match’s.

Selected my Wife’s Maternal Assigned match’s where they said there were five new assignments.

The third one down in their guestimates for Maternal lineage is showing Paternal as I had assigned them myself to her Paternal line.

The person that they had assigned has 7 shared match’s and of those 7 there are 5 who are linked into my Wife’s tree on her Paternal line, ie they are in her tree.

Until 1890 her Maternal and Paternal lines were born and raised 200 miles apart.

Odd.

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 January 23 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Is there any identfier showing for their new assignments? I have 1 and 4 but have yet to spot them

Offline glamwales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 January 23 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I note I have a paternal dna match (common ancestor)  according to ancestry it should be maternal.
Hancock - Dursley/ Merthyr
Pritchard - Merthyr/ Salop
Evans - Merthyr
Jones - Merthyr, Carmarthern
Griffiths - Merthyr, Pembrokeshire - kilgerran
Axhorn - Tiverton / Merthyr
Egan - Merthyr/ Bradford
Jowett - Bradford
Calvert -Bradford
Benjamin - Merthyr
Morgan - Merthyr
Smith - Merthyr / High Littleton - Somerset