Author Topic: A Distant Relative  (Read 1307 times)

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Distant Relative
« on: Wednesday 04 January 23 22:18 GMT (UK) »
I've been having a lovely email conversation with two of my DNA matches.

Their great grandfather in some online trees has become confused with a first cousin of his with a similar name.

One of my matches has been messaging with a lady that has this great grandfather with the wrong parents in her tree. This lady responds to all messages and chats away about all things family history but her tree remains uncorrected.

Between the three of us we have a fairly solid paper trail and we have attached records to our respective Ancestry trees. I have attached to my public tree an image of the marriage of the first cousin showing clearly the correct father. One of the witnesses is the brother of this first cousin and these brothers can be connected to the correct parents with census and BMD indexes.

I have spent this afternoon roaming around this other lady's public tree and I have concluded that she doesn't actually feature in the tree herself but may be an aunt of the "home" person.

Assuming that there are no further errors in this tree I think that the "home" person might be.....

The fourth cousin twice removed to the wife of the first cousin of the half brother of my grandfather.

Should she be on my Christmas card list?  ;D

I love this hobby.

Tony.

Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: A Distant Relative
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 23 05:29 GMT (UK) »
I have similar a 3rd cousin who has her mother as home person on tree and hasn't linked her DNA results to her tree because she doesn't know how and hasn't got anyone near by to help her .

I will try to assist over the phone 🤳 she is in Australia and I am in UK

I have linked her up with another 3rd cousin who is her second cousin who wants to go to Australia and meet her !
Meanwhile I found so much about their mutual great grandmother and her 15 children and the mining community of Atherton Lancashire England.

+ About how much adoption there is in everybranch every generation of my family .

Their great grandmother and my great grandfather + their 2 siblings were taken in by relatives &  or lived with widowed father for most of their childhood .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson