Author Topic: Isaac Ormston(e)/Ormiston(e) - c.1762  (Read 909 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Isaac Ormston(e)/Ormiston(e) - c.1762
« on: Saturday 07 January 23 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am searching for more information about the family of Isaac Ormstone.  I believe he married Ann (Agness) Simpson on 21st May 1795 in Kirknewton and they had the following children:

Frank/Francis 1796
John 1797-1805
Margaret 1799 (my connection)
Elizabeth 1803
Agness 1807

All baptised in Ford/Etal (Presbytarian)

According to death records, Isaac died in 1848, aged 86, in Lucker.  However, I cannot find any baptism records for him, to find out more about his family.  According to the 1841 census, he was born in Northumberland.  Can anyone help, please?
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Ormston(e)/Ormiston(e) - c.1762
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 23 18:51 GMT (UK) »
   Margaret w. Francis ORMISTON 20.5.1843 age 40. Ann ORMISTON mother a/n. 7.1.1844 age 84. Isaac ORMISTON 15.12.1848 age 86. Francis ORMISTON 24.8.1860 age 64. Elizabeth DARLING 20.4.1865 age 28. Margaret McDONALD 25.1.1867. Agnes ORMISTON 7.11.1870 age 27. Mary CAIRNS 1.10.1893 age 52. Elizabeth Jane ORMISTON dr. a/n Agnes ORMISTON d at Chathill 15.9.1907 age 88

The above is a transcription by Northumberland and Durham FHS  of a Memorial at St Hilda's church Lucker. I appreciate that you probably have all the information given, but thought I would include it just in case you haven't!
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 23 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the info!  The Ormston(e) line are fairly new to me - finally figured out where I'd gone wrong with a different Margaret, so here we are.  You've saved me a lot of time looking these up - thank you!
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 23 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I am also unable to find a baptism record for Isaac. When I run into this issue when researching my own family, I often find it useful to think laterally and explore some other options:

1) Who were the witnesses on Isaac's marriage? The usefulness of marriage witnesses is a bit of a pot luck, but might it be worth trying to obtain an image of the parish register? I can't find it on Ancestry or FindMyPast so, unless someone on here has access to transcripts that include names of witnesses, it may be a case of approaching the Northumberland Archives.

2) At the same time Isaac was baptising his children at the Etal Presbyterian, another man called John Ormiston (and his wife, Eleanor) was baptising his children in the same place. Could this be a relative?

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 January 23 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the ideas!  Today is the first day I've been working on Isaac (impatient, I know!) so he is new to me.  I'll have to have a look and see what I can find out over the weekend and who else I can drag in!