Author Topic: Parents of Mary M. Johnston, nee Brown, and sister Eliza  (Read 2353 times)

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Parents of Mary M. Johnston, nee Brown, and sister Eliza
« on: Sunday 08 January 23 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Mary M. Raymond nee Brown married Adam Groves Johnston Jan 13, 1883 in Summit Co., Ohio, USA.
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=2145&h=1154627&tid=962171&pid=152432429278&hid=1024520728543&usePUB=true&_phsrc=vRd1071&_phstart=default&usePUBJs=true&currentPageIsStart=&_gl=1*7fpwse*_ga*NTIwOTMzODUzLjE2NjY4MTYyNzY.*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*MTY3MzExOTI3OC43NC4xLjE2NzMxMzcxNTcuNS4wLjA.

They are on the 1900 Census in Cleveland with Mary's sister Eliza Brown, single. Mary is born Nov 1845 and Eliza is born Mar 1855. They are both born Ohio, father born Massachusetts, mother born Pennsylvania.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6P63-QX7?cc=1325221&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AMMZF-B3R

Adam dies Dec 27, 1901 in Akron, Ohio and is buried with his first wife Sarah Milliken in Oakwood Cemetery, Warren, Howland Township, Trumbull Co., Ohio.
Mary died Aug 23, 1908 in  Cleveland. Her death record does not name parents. I don't know when Eliza died. At first, I thought it was her on Nov 26,1907 but it is not her. I have tried for years to find the parents of Mary  M. and Eliza. I have looked at the 1860 census trying to find them together in Ohio. I have tried to find Mary's first marriage to Mr. Raymond. I have searched trees on familysearch and ancestry. I have phoned Woodland Cemetery where Mary is buried. I just can't sort this family out.
Can anyone help with this? Thank you. Peggy

Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Mary M. Johnston, nee Brown, and sister Eliza
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 23 15:46 GMT (UK) »

Just a gentle reminder to use RootsChat's URL shrinker when posting that extremely long link.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/

Also, if you post an Ancestry etc link like that, only people who have an Ancestry subscription will be able to help you. For Ancestry non-users, that link opens at the subscription page.

Much better to post a snip from the page using, for example, the Windows snipping tool. Attach the image using the “Attachments and other options” box.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 23 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you KG

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 January 24 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I am getting back to Mary M. Johnston. I really would like to find out her parents names and/or her marriage to Mr. Raymond or maybe Reimond or Reimon or .....
Since Mary was born Nov 1845 in Ohio, I would estimate that her first marriage to Mr. Raymond would not be before 1861 and was obviously before 1882 when she married Adam Groves Johnston. The marriage could be either in the USA or in Canada, I should think, but more likely in the USA.
I am assuming her maiden name was Brown, since she was living with her unmarried sister Eliza Brown in 1900 in Cleveland.  It is possible that Eliza really had married and Brown was her married name and that would be why we are getting nowhere.
I have been looking for over 30 years, maybe 40, and would like to solve this puzzle. The 1900 census says both girls born Ohio, Eliza in March 1855, but their father born Massachusetts and mother born Pennsylvania.
Even finding Eliza's death after 1900 might help. That is the only time that I found Eliza was the 1900 census in Cleveland, with sister Mary M. Johnston and Mary's husband Adam G. Johnston. Adam died Dec 27, 1901 at the Pacific Restaurant in Akron, Ohio though his permanent residence was Dayton, Ohio according to his death report in the newspaper. I didn't find an obit for Mary who died Aug 23, 1908 in Cleveland.
Thanks for any help.
Peggy

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 24 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I suppose it is even possible that Adam Johnston was Mary’s third husband,   Because I cannot see a Raymond/Brown marriage either.

I note that in the 1900 census Eliza is the one who is Head of the house,  have you found her in directories? 

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 January 24 14:10 GMT (UK) »
That is an interesting thought about a third marriage. So Mary possibly married someone, then Mr. Raymond, then Adam.
I have not found further info on Eliza, in directories,  or especially her death, which might break the brick  wall. I looked for a marriage for her after 1900 as well in case she died under a different name.
Thanks for your input.
Peggy

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 January 24 02:38 GMT (UK) »
I wonder about this woman in 1880. Some details are off but parents being MA/PA fits, location good for the wedding in 1883.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M83M-9TK

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 January 24 02:51 GMT (UK) »
That is a fantastic  find, jorose. I will certainly investigate this to see if it might be her. The part about being single makes me wonder.
Thank you
Peggy

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 January 24 10:22 GMT (UK) »
To follow on from Jorose.

There is a ten year gap between Mary and Eliza. Could Mary 1844 be Mary Raymond - father then dies

mother marries a Mr. Brown and has Eliza 1855?.