Author Topic: James Adam or Adams (1778-1848)  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Adam or Adams (1778-1848)
« on: Sunday 08 January 23 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I am interested to know more about ancestors of James Adam (1778-1848) who married Mary Stevenson or Stephenson of St Fegus, Banffshire.  The website familysearch.org suggests his father is James Adam and that he was born outside of Aberdeenshire.  I have his death cert. and that does not indicate the father's name but shows James Adams is buried in Foveran.  He is from Newburgh and lays at the northwest corner of Mowats Lairstone. 

I believe he is from Banffshire/Aberdeen border and as a labourer he is unlikely to have had a will.
I wonder about the 1778 birth as I think St. Fergus, Ellon, or Newburgh would make more sense.

There are two wills.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Adam or Adams (1778-1848)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 23 10:17 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census notes he was not born in Aberdeenshire, age on 1841 census not always reliable.

Death on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
ADAMS   JAMES   01/02/1848   FOVERAN

1841 – Newburgh, Foveran, Aberdeenshire
ADAM   James   63   Labourer   Out of County   
ADAM   Mary   F   59      Aberdeenshire   
ADAM   Anne   F   36      Aberdeenshire   
HARLAY   James   9      Aberdeenshire   

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 23 10:52 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census shows James Adam, 63, labourer, not born in county, with Mary Adam, 59, Anne Adam, 36, and James Harlay, 9, all born in Aberdeenshire, living in Newburgh in the parish of Foveran, Aberdeenshire.

The death record you have is not a death certificate. Death certificates did not exist before the start of civil registration in 1855. It looks as if it is the burial record, which is from the Foveran parish register and available from Scotland's People (SP).

The dates on the wills you have found are the dates of death, not the dates of birth, of the persons who has died, so those two wills are not the person you are looking for. I can see only one will of a James Adam(s) who died in 1848. As this James Adam was Town Clerk of Forfar, he is obviously not your one either.

The census in 1841 was taken on the night of 7 June, so if his age is accurate in the 1841 census James would have been born in either 1777 or 1778.

The index at SP lists 12 baptisms of James Adam(s) in 1777 and 1778. One can be discounted as he was born in Forgue, which is in Aberdeenshire, and your man was not born in Aberdeenshire. However you must not assume that the record of his birth/baptism has survived. There are many reasons why his baptism may not be in the surviving records, ranging from poor record-keeping to loss of the registers.

Ignore FamilySearch, by the way. It is a wonderful resource for pointing you towards information, but it has its drawbacks, not least that it is only an index and does not contain links to the original documents on SP.

I see from the baptism indexes at SP that James Adam(s) and Mary Ste*nson had three recorded children
James, baptised 18 December 1802 in Cruden
Peter, baptised 30 August 1811 in Slains
Isabella Gordon, 30 March 1814 in Slains
Cruden and Slains are coastal parishes north of Foveran. It looks as if they moved southwards from Cruden to Slains to Foveran.

View the original baptism records at SP to see if they include names of witnesses to the baptisms who might provide a clue to James' and Mary's families.

The large gaps in the dates immediately suggest to me that there were other children whose baptism records have not survived. There is, for example, a death of Ann Adams or Rennie, aged 88, in Foveran in 1893, mother's maiden surname Stephenson, who is quite likely to be another daughter, and Jean Adam or Wingate, who died in Greenock in 1896 aged 83, mother's maiden surname Stevenson, might perhaps be another. The death certificates should clarify their parentages.

James Adams and Mary Stevenson were married in Cruden in August 1802, so James, baptised 1802, is almost certainly their eldest child, and if so it is likely that his father's name was also James.

Unfortunately the records of Cruden Kirk Session, which might have taken a dim view of baby James' arrival less than four months after the marriage, do not appear to record an investigation into the matter.

Incidentally none of these records mention St Fergus, so what information do you have to link James to St Fergus?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 23 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with the points made by Forfarian, I was about to post something similar.

There were 5 baptisms for a James Adam in Banff, two below father James might be worth a look, but how do you know he was born in Banff?

JAMES ADAM   JAMES ADAM/ANNA SPENCE      09/01/1776         MARNOCH
Marnoch lies in the NE corner of Banff.

JAMES ADAM      JAMES ADAM/ELIZABETH PARK   14/02/1780   ST FERGUS

"FERGUS, ST., a parish, in the county of BANFF, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Peterhead; containing 1391 inhabitants. This parish which is locally situated in Aberdeenshire, was formerly called Langley.

Possible baptism for Mary, the only one around the age of Mary on 1841 census.

MARY STEVENSON    JOHN STEVENSON/HELEN BOOTH   11/07/1782   ABERDEEN

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 23 11:16 GMT (UK) »
You have to remember that the parish of St Fergus and parts of the parish of Old Deer were actually detached portions of Banffshire at that time. So someone born in St Fergus was born in Banffshire.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 23 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hmm.

John Adams, baptised Foveran 19 June 1819, parents James A and Margt Stevenson. If Margt is an error for Mary (it has been known!) this is another brother.

And there's an Alexander Adam, baptised 21 May 1816 in Old Machar, parents James A and Mary Stephen. Could this be Mary Stevenson?

Still nothing referring to St Fergus, however.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 23 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Mary Stevenson or Adams, 94, mother's maiden surname Allan, died in Foveran in 1876.

The 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses all give her parish of birth as Peterhead, but there is no obvious record of her baptism.

In 1871 she is listed as a pauper. This specifically means that she was receiving relief from the parochial board, so if the parochial board records have survived there should be information there about her.

In 1871 she is listed as mother-in-law of William Rennie. He and his wife Ann are also described as paupers.

This also means that the Ann Adam or Rennie I referred to above is definitely a daughter of James A and Mary S. The 1871 says that Ann was born in Cruden.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 23 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all those who looked.  I hadn't realized the 1841 pdf I had attached did not open in Rootschat.  The parents of Mary Stevenson are Alexander Stevenson and Agnes Allan of Newburgh.  Children of James Adam & Mary Stevenson:
James Adam 1802- Cruden who married Jean Smith
Ann Adam 1805-1893 who married William Rennie (1), Robert Scott(2), and then John Harley(3)
Peter Adams 1811-
Isabella Gordon Adams 1814-

James Adam and Elizabeth Park were ruled out because an Ancestry tree linked the family to a different person. 

I found this link on Adams Family of Aberdeen: https://www.waughfamily.ca/Adams/index.htm

I am still not exactly sure of the parents of James Adam (1778-1848).

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 23 17:46 GMT (UK) »
James Adam and Elizabeth Park were ruled out because an Ancestry tree linked the family to a different person.
Can you be absolutely sure that this other tree is correct? Might someone looking for an ancestor have come across this person and just attached him to their tree without any supporting evidence to prove the connection?

Ann Adam 1805-1893 who married William Rennie (1), Robert Scott(2), and then John Harley(3)
Given that there is a 9-year-old James Harlay with Ann and her parents in 1841, and that she married William Rennie in 1844, and that her surnames at death are Adams and Rennie only, it may be that her liaisons with Robert Scott and John Harley were before she married William Rennie, and even that she did not actually marry either of them.

I found this link on Adams Family of Aberdeen: https://www.waughfamily.ca/Adam/index.htm
As
(a) Mary Stevenson doesn't feature in that tree,
(b) it includes James Adams, schoolmaster, and Mary Brodie, whose family overlaps with that of your James A and Mary Stevenson and
(c) most of the people in it were born in Aberdeenshire and your James was not,
it looks like an unrelated Adams family. Best left on the back burner unless and until you find some evidence to connect yours to it.