Author Topic: Deserter - why?  (Read 922 times)

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Deserter - why?
« on: Monday 09 January 23 16:13 GMT (UK) »
One of the helpful responses to an earlier post* directed me to the Army Deserters Lists on FindMyPast of a 1833 desertion from the Rifle Brigade, and I would like to know if I might glean more about the circumstances from any other source.

O.

*https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=840449.0

Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.
Devon: Banston, Blunt, Fisher, May, Parnell, Palmer, Rundle, Saunders.
Monmouthshire: Blunt

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Deserter - why?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 23 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 23 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Presumably you know the date the desertion took place, and the approximate location. Use this information to see if there was a battle or other event in the aea which could have triggered it.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 23 18:22 GMT (UK) »
The year was 1833 but I do not know the location. I only have the details given in the FindMyPast transcript.

The history of the Rifle Brigade (the Prince Consort's Own) formerly the 95th which is on Archive.org pps 231-232* covers the year. My reading  suggests that if he was in Headquarters Company ist Bn Rifle Brigade he was in Nova Scotia, Depot Company and he was in the south of England involved in 'unpleasant' duties dealing with smugglers around Hastings.

O.

*https://archive.org/details/historyofriflebr00cope/page/n3/mode/2up
Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.
Devon: Banston, Blunt, Fisher, May, Parnell, Palmer, Rundle, Saunders.
Monmouthshire: Blunt