Author Topic: Royal Sapper and Miner, Bermuda and Nova Scotia  (Read 758 times)

Offline DuncanZA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Sapper and Miner, Bermuda and Nova Scotia
« on: Friday 13 January 23 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction and really hope this is not a futile exercise.
My 3x great grandmother was born in Bermuda. She was baptised on 23 Dec 1832, the daughter of Thomas and Mary Anne Robinson. Thomas is listed as being a Private in the Royal Sappers and Miners. An older sister, Mary Anne, was also baptised in St George's, Bermuda on 18 Apr 1830. Thomas is also listed as a Private in the RS+M in this entry.

Another known brother, Walter William Robinson was stated in his death notice in South Africa to have been born in "Amerika". His birth is recorded in the list of armed forces births as having taken place in 1834 in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Now, the family was in South Africa by the latest 1841 as that is when another brother, Thomas, was born.

My question is, are there other places I can look for more information on this family. The death notices of the two sons list their mother's maiden name as Smith. I can find nothing further of Thomas' service or where they were married or came from. They do not appear to have married in Bermuda as I have not found a marriage listed on the island as of yet.

==Side Note==
On the national archives there is a David Thomas Robinson, born in 1809 in Portsea South Hampton who was admitted to the Greenwich Hospital School, with the parents, Thomas and Mary Ann Robinson listed as having been married in Halifax in 1809 by the Chaplain of the HMS Bellona. Now this seems pretty early to be the same Thomas and Mary Ann as my pair as it would likely put the pair in their 50s when the youngest son is born, so I would rule them out, but am hoping someone can help me definitively rule them out.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Duncan