Author Topic: Norton  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norton
« on: Saturday 14 January 23 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, looking for advice on Norton, and which of the products i really need. I've had Norton 360 premier edition for years, but having bought a new laptop 6 months ago (have a desktop too) I have regularly been offered 'extras' ...... usually a few number of weeks trial then a few pounds until my renewal date, and now have 360 premier, Utilities Ultimate, Password Manager, Secure VPN and Anti-Track, and have just realised I have Utilities Premium too, though that appears to be linked to one of the others, maybe 360 ::). This morning i have been offered Identity Advisor Plus.

I've used a computer in work and at home for 30 years but have little clue about the technical side of things, but obviously want to protect my files / security etc.

Norton also keeps telling me that I have no room for a backup (fully used my online storage). I can't see how to change the location to a usb stick, so ignore it! I do backup my family history document (certs / photos) folders and Family Historian project data regularly (to several usb sticks). Apart from browsing the internet, and watching occasional excel tutorials or iplayer programmes, family history is my main use.

Any advice on which I need or could cancel would be much appreciated, before they all renew at the end of March.

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Norton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 23 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Norton are having you on.  It sounds like you are paying for things you do not understand, and probably don't need.
At next renewal, get on to live chat and say all you want is Anti-Virus.
The price will drop greatly.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 23 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, i certainly don't understand what they all do, but assumed norton was reputable and these were just extras based on how clever hackers etc are getting :(

Do i really only need anti-virus (I can cancel the others through my account).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 23 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Like you I have no idea what all the extra "add ons" they try to make you buy are, but I always ignore them . I have had basic Norton for a long time , am presently on Norton 360. I did nt want to pay the expensive renewal price so investigated and bought a Norton 360 renewal pack from Amazon which has worked very well and only cost around £15 !
Whether that is a good idea or not, I m sure others will be able to advise, but I am presently happy with the level of protection it provides. I think too you only need an anti virus.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 23 18:23 GMT (UK) »
My opinion - if you are on auto renew and you probably will be as they set it up so that you have to be, cancel it now. It has to be cancelled at least a month before it ends. Make sure you get an email saying it’s cancelled. You don’t lose any days cancelling it early- well I certainly didn’t.
Then buy yourself Norton from a shop - I got mine from Curry’s Pcworld and it’s just a card with a scratch code on the back. You just then once you’ve got to nearly the renewal day, log in to your Norton and enter the new product key which you scratch gently off the back of the card. They warn you to scratch gently!
Mine cost I think it was £19,99 just before Christmas as I needed the up to 5 computers ( we have three between us. ) single computer one will probably be a different price.
I bought Norton 360 deluxe. It has the antivirus and assorted other bits including the online storage, but I only use the antivirus really. If I hadn’t cancelled the previous one,  I think they wanted to charge £84 for the year from memory. I’ve cancelled it every year for the last probably five years and bought from whoever was cheaper or more convenient.
North East of England

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 23 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cathy; and candleflame, i’ll cancel them all as soon as i’m on my laptop later tonight.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 January 23 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Another Norton user!
Take a bi weekly computer magazine and using a mag code just before Christmas renewed cheap!
Norton 360 Premium 10devices 2years @£19.99 :)
[Don't worry if you have less machines, I pass onto my needy family if required]
As in a lot of cases take up auto renewal on purchase then cancell within a couple of weeks.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 January 23 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Brian, will do, though may have missed that offer. Getting from Currys / wherever is a huge saving on what i have mistakenly built up.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 January 23 07:01 GMT (UK) »
The Norton offer I quoted runs throughout the year!
www.snipca.com/33247
See if it's suitable for yourself!
 Brian
Other offers available at the bottom of page.
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire