Author Topic: Bonnitcha DNA matching  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnitcha DNA matching
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 January 23 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the Bonnitcha connection to Charles William Moody is through his wife's family.

https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=bonnitcha&view=0&pid=5816&ver=46

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 January 23 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Quite distant relatives sharing quite small cMs.

It looks like you might have found that connection though Nova.  :) You could contact the administrator of the Tribal Pages tree - I see that it hasn’t been updated since 2013 - more information may have been found over the years but not added.

I’m not very good at unravelling DNA but I think every one I’ve managed to work out so far as come through the female line (apart from only one that comes to mind).

Maybe consider uploading your raw data to other sites? Upload is free but there is a fee to unlock the more useful features. You have a lot of kits so maybe start with yours and/or your mothers?

Good luck.

Offline Andrew Bonnitcha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 May 24 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Nova67, I have just come across your post, my name is Andrew Bonnitcha, maybe I can help with your inquiry?
Bonnitcha, Anderson, Fraser, Ward, Neal, Fitzpatrick, McQueeney, Mallin

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 May 24 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrew,

It is nice to hear from you. Have you DNA tested? I do have access to one descendant of Nicholas Bonnitcha and Euphemia Fraser DNA matches, as mentioned before, my family also matching descendants of Emma Matilda Brooks. There is a close family group of which of number of members have tested and they are either on Ancestry or My Heritage, or both. They seem to be on Emma’s side. My close family seem to match many of them. I do not know if Tasmania is a red herring.

Nova67

Offline Andrew Bonnitcha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 May 24 01:13 BST (UK) »
Yes I have tested but with 23 & Me, I am also on GEDMATCH, Tasmania is definitely not a red herring. Nicholas first arrived in Tasmania, he lived here (yes I live in Tassie) his whole life, however he was a mariner so spent a good part of his life away from Tassie, hence his affair with Matilda, Nicholas probably did not even know he had any other children apart from those he had with Euphemia. I found out about his other family through DNA, I have been in touch with the family to confirm.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 May 24 07:38 BST (UK) »
Yay.....
After only 12 months, Rootschat strikes again!!

GO Chatters.....
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 May 24 14:36 BST (UK) »
Wonderful success story
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Andrew Bonnitcha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 May 24 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Nova67, can I have a bit of info on your family so we can see where you fit in?

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 May 24 20:58 BST (UK) »
As luck would have it, I returned to work the day you replied previous to which I had five weeks off to look into such things. I am working all weekend.

My great grandmother is the Tasmanian connection.  She is Amy Louisa Moody born 1888 (birth registered as Annie) and her parents were James Moody born 1836 and Elizabeth Jane Johns born 1848.  To have a DNA cousin relationship you have to have a common direct ancestor/s at some point. To me this does not fit with Nicholas and his own age or arrival in Hobart. I realise as a mariner that he could have been here before, but possibly not.

It is mainly four DNA matches to the same people on Ancestry to myself, my mother, my maternal aunt and her daughter. Apart from my cousin, we are all also on My Heritage. There is a shared match on Ancestry with another descendant of James Moody and Elizabeth Jane Johns. also, the person I have exchanged results with has one other Moody match to the next Moody generation back. also, a shared match to someone in Canada, who added Bonnitcha after I emailed, but actually has no known connection!

My other aunt, her first cousin, cousins two children and granddaughter do not get the DNA matches.