Author Topic: Isaac Hart publican at Flint Hill  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Hart publican at Flint Hill
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 15:17 GMT (UK) »
There are articles in 1868 re the bankruptcy of Isaac Hart, a grocer in Chester le Street. I also note the following from the Consett Guardian 8 Oct 1870

"Important Sale at Flint Hill

Mr Adam Brodie, Auctioneer, is instructed by Mr Isaac Hart, who has removed from Pelton, to sell by public auction, on the premises at Flint Hill on Monday October 10. 1870, a large quantity of groceries ..."

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I've just seen your posting on 'Dipton Memories' in which you say that there were in fact two public houses at Four Lane Ends. I'm not clear if you're saying that the one in which you are currently interested isn't the one identified at The Bloodhound/ Prince of Wales?

For anyone else who wants to take a look https://www.facebook.com/groups/diptonmemories/posts/1819108961434325/  scroll down to post made 9th January.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I am mostly interested in the Prince of Wales which was the larger and more prominent of the two.  I am not certain whether the other (The Flint Hill Inn) was even open in 1871.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 20:23 GMT (UK) »
There are articles in 1868 re the bankruptcy of Isaac Hart, a grocer in Chester le Street. I also note the following from the Consett Guardian 8 Oct 1870

"Important Sale at Flint Hill

Mr Adam Brodie, Auctioneer, is instructed by Mr Isaac Hart, who has removed from Pelton, to sell by public auction, on the premises at Flint Hill on Monday October 10. 1870, a large quantity of groceries ..."
William
Does this article state which premises at Flint Hill?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 21:07 GMT (UK) »
The only newspaper reference to Isaac Hart, publican, I have so far spotted is in the Consett Guardian, 20 May 1871. Sadly, it doesn't name the pub.

The earliest reference to the "Prince of Wales" is also in the Consett Guardian, 20 Sep 1873 -
"TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION at the "Prince of Wales Hotel", Flint Hill on Monday 22 September ... belonging to Mr Henry Simons who is declining business."

Pubs were regularly used to hold auctions but I'm wondering if the contents of the Prince were being sold, given the reference to items associated with the pub trade.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Unless he was selling off items from the previous Landlord in order to update the pub or change its character, he would not be selling off the contents of the Prince.  This was right at the very end of Isaac Hart's tenure but the pub kept on trading.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 22:51 GMT (UK) »
hanes teulu There was another article in the Consett Guardian of 24th June 1871.  Same subject but 2 different people and there was some damage to the pub but the magistrate was hostile to the Landlord and said that if he was acting alone, the punishment would be more severe - specifying a month's imprisonment for the men and two months for the Landlord for allowing them to get drunk!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 13:57 GMT (UK) »
The Consett Guardian, 8 Nov 1883,
"Henry Simons, Joiner, Cabinet Maker, French Polisher, Undertaker
Having removed from his premises lately occupied at Flint Hill ..."

So, the Prince of Wales was being used as an auction house rather than the subject of the sale.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 14:22 GMT (UK) »
There were two shops in a concrete building within thirty yards of the Prince and they are now used as a joinery shop.  One of them was a butchers and the other a general dealers but I believe the original use was as a joinery shop and this may have been Mr Simons' workshop for making his coffins etc.  The Prince would be an ideal place for an auction as prospective buyers would be able to inspect the goods immediately before the auction took place.  The last tenant of the grocery shop moved out about 30 years ago but still lives in the village - I will ask her if she knows its original use.