Author Topic: George Edward Hood  (Read 3227 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Edward Hood
« on: Wednesday 18 January 23 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Apart from a misleading 1911 census "everything" is known about my grandfather (no research needed). He married Clara May Prior in 1917 as a bachelor.

In 1911 census the following.

George Edward Hood 30 Fancy Tie Maker born Hoxton (age out by 3 years)
Rose Hood 35 Fancy Tie Maker born Birmingham  (Married 5 years)
William Ingram 21 Brother in Law--Ledgers Clerk born Hoxton.

I have never found an "alleged" marriage to Rose and wonder just who she is. William Ingram I believe to be William John Ingram (born 21/4/1889 mmn Brookes/Brooks)who married Clara Janet Smith in 1915. On this marriage cert he name's his father as Joseph Bromley Ingram. I believe their marriage to be dq 1884 Kings Norton, Joseph Ingram/Rhoda Brookes.

So is the 1911 census saying that William Ingram is George's brother in law via his wife Rose.

I cannot make any links,

John

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Edward Hood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 12:35 GMT (UK) »
If George Edward married as a bachelor in 1917 that rules out any alleged "marriage" as per 1911 entry.

Census relationships should always be shown as to the head of the household rather than other members.     As both George Hood & William Ingram were b Hoxton - it suggests the relationship is on the Hood side. 

As William Ingram was b 1890 - and George Hood's parents only married 1880 - he can't be a child of one of George's female siblings (if he had any)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I can see George and Clara in 1921.  He is 37, born Shoreditch and a Heavy Machine Mechanic (out of work).  As George completed both forms (1911 and 1921), then I don't believe they are the same person.  The signatures are not similar, place of birth is different and "Fancy Tie Maker" and "Heavy Machine Mechanic" don't tally either.   :-\ :-\ :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW, thanks for your comments. George Edward Hood's parents married in 1868. By the time of George's birth in 1884 his parents had had 7 children, 4 sons, 3 daughters. None of the daughters married an Ingram.

Marriage
9 MAR 1868 • St Stephens Middlesborough
Ann Amelia Carr
(1846–1918)

John

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I thought he was the George Edward Hood b 1883 mmn Craggs 😱😱
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 13:59 GMT (UK) »
“William John Ingram (born 21/4/1889 mmn Brookes/Brooks)who married Clara Janet Smith” They are on the 1921 Census. Maybe not the right family?

But, there seems to be two families with very similar names.

Is this them on the 1891 and 1901 Census?
1891 Census: Mintern Street . Shoreditch, London
William J Ingram . 1 . Son . born London
Birth Year (Estimated).1890
RG12 . Piece/Folio.249/ 119 . Page 28
Identifier: GBC/1891/0249/0239&parentid=GBC/1891/0002209288
Parents Joseph and Rhoda Ingram, brother Joseph A Ingram and mother-in-law Rhoda Brooks. His occupation: Chaser, which is an Engraver.

1901 Census: Herbert Street . Shoreditch, London
William Ingram . 10 . Son . born Hoxton, London
Schedule 113 . Piece/Folio 70 . Page 14
Head: Albert J Ingram . 41 . Married . wife Julia . brothers Albert B Ingram, Archibald Ingram and sister Lilian. All on the GRO with mmn CRAWFORD.
All are in the upholstery business.

The 1901 Census, would suggest: William Ernest Ingram . mmn Crawford . Jul-Sep 1890 . Shoreditch . Volume 01c . Page 67

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 14:11 GMT (UK) »

“William John Ingram (born 21/4/1889 mmn Brookes/Brooks)who married Clara Janet Smith” They are on the 1921 Census. Maybe not the right family?

My reasoning for thinking it was this William (and I may well be wrong) was that in 1911 census his occupation was Ledgers Clerk. The William John who married Clara in 1915 had the occupation of Ledgers Clerk.

The 1901 Census, would suggest: William Ernest Ingram . mmn Crawford . Jul-Sep 1890 . Shoreditch . Volume 01c . Page 67

He appears in 1911 with his parents Albert & Julia.
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 19:40 BST (UK) »
Trying to revive this very interesting thread started by softly softly...

So in 1911 George Edward Hood, Rose Hood and William Ingram were living at 123 Villa Street, Camberwell.
And George Hood is listed at that address in the electoral register that year (Division 3 voters)

For the years from 1912 there is a George Hood listed on the ERs at 5 Brunswick Road, Camberwell (Division 1 voters)

William Ingram I believe to be William John Ingram (born 21/4/1889 mmn Brookes/Brooks) who married Clara Janet Smith in 1915. On this marriage cert he name's his father as Joseph Bromley Ingram.

Residence for both on that marriage in Camberwell was 5 Brunswick Road.
Then in 1917 George Edward Hood married Clara May Prior.

On the electoral registers for 1918, 1919, there is a Rose Hood listed at 5 Brunswick Road, Camberwell.

In 1920 Rose is gone, but a Joseph Ingram and a Charlotte Ingram are now listed at 5 Brunswick Road!

1921 census free index has
5 Brunswick Road, Camberwell
Schedule 244
Joseph Alfred Ingram, Head, born 1889, Hoxton, London
Charles(!) Emily Ingram, Wife, born 1884, Southall, Middlesex
Two unamed male Ingrams, Sons, born 1921, Camberwell, London
Harold James Hoare, Brother in law, born 1896, Southall, Middlesex
and Alice Mary Hoare, born 1898, Kensington, London

So the marriage seems to be
Dec 1913 Paddington 1a 171
Joseph A. Ingram + Charlotte E. Hoare

With, I guess, twin sons registered in Camberwell in Sep qtr 1921.

Anyway it seems to confirm SS is right about the Joseph Ingram/Rhoda Brookes family being the one.
Presuming it's the same Rose from 1911 living at 5 Brunswick Road later, it's interesting that she was still being known as Hood after George had gone. If she and George had already been together for 5 years in 1911 (but not really married!) then that's quite a long time they had as a couple (if they remained together up to the war or thereabouts)

So what happened to Rose after 1919? :-\
John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 10:45 BST (UK) »
Spooky, jonw65, I was only thinking about my grandfather a few days ago and you reply. As for Rose after 1919 I'm not sure but will spend a little time when I have a moment. Looking after grandchildren for a week as it's easter bank school holidays, so not a lot of time.

Thanks again

SS