Author Topic: Lee family in Liverpool - Travellers?  (Read 362 times)

Offline Patrickjlee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lee family in Liverpool - Travellers?
« on: Wednesday 18 January 23 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
My Lee family first moved from Ireland to Liverpool in the 1820's (not exactly sure of the County, possibly Meath according to records). They were Roman Catholic according to baptism records, and had occupations such as bricklayer, laborer, etc. They lived in the Courts in Liverpool around Vauxhall, Scotland Road, Portland St.
My father moved to the US as a toddler so I'm here, but trying to determine if the Lee family could have possibly been Irish travellers, based upon some reading I've done. I know Lee can be a Romani gypsy name, and I believe also Irish traveller in origin. I also know it can be native Irish or English planter.
According to Ancestry, DNA from my father is all Irish with a bit of Scottish (no English) if that helps.
Any guidance or information on the Lee surname in Ireland or Liverpool, and any advice on where to turn to next? Irish records in the 1820's are scarce, and while the census records point back to Ireland I can't find any confirmed records from there.
Thanks-
Pat

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Lee family in Liverpool - Travellers?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 January 23 20:48 GMT (UK) »
This is just wild supposition, which is actually contradicted by the facts as you state them.
if they were what you suppose, then they wouldn't have had a fixed place of abode, or regular jobs, would they?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Patrickjlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 23 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wexflyer, appreciate the reply. Just wondering, not supposing, looking to learn more. Would the travellers generally not be included on a census records?

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 23 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have romany ancestors (some happen to also have the surname ''Lee'' but are from Kent), generally the further back I went the less they were recorded on censuses. But during the late 1800s they seem to mostly be recorded, even if just ''in tents''/''in caravans''/''on side of road''. What jobs did your family have? My family that were all living in houses but came from travellers generally had jobs like general labourers, hop pickers and general dealers/hawkers (hawkers are a big pointer to a travelling family i've found). Also another pointer is if all their children were born in different locations. Also with regard to Wexflyer saying they would not have a place of fixed abode, that wasn't true for a lot of my ancestors (but may be for you or others) who were from traveller families, they often were living in houses on censuses.
Hope this might help  :)

Offline Peckroot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 January 23 22:46 GMT (UK) »
There is the Romany and Traveller Family History Society
https://rtfhs.org.uk/

and as a research guide: My Ancestors were Gypsies  by Sharon Sillers Floate