Author Topic: Madras (now Chennai) India - Any information on Davis and Menzies families.  (Read 428 times)

Offline MaryEmily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dear All, my name is Mary Petersen (nee Menzies) and I am currently living in Australia. I was previously from Madras (now Chennai) India and came from an Anglo-indian background. I migrated to Australia at a very young age.
I am trying to find information about my Ancestors who lived in Madras, Wellington Nilgiris, Hyderabad, Secunderabad and Bombay, India. My Dad's name was Herbert James Menzies who lived in Madras India and married my Mum Winnifred Mercy Selhore who was from Secunderabad/Hyderabad.
My Grandmother's (my Dad's Mother) name was Emily Davis (Red Hair, very light grey eyes) and her Father's name was a John Davis, not sure of her Mother's name. Emily lived in the Boarding School at St Columban's Anglo-indian High School, George-town, Madras and was a Ward of the State. Emily married a James Menzies (my Dad's Father) who lived in George-town Madras, but was born in Wellington Nilgiris. His Father's name was Emmanuel Menzies and apparently their family Owned or Managed a Tea Plantation in the Nilgiris.  My Mum's Mother was a Mary Arland (Hyderabad/Secunderabad) and her father was a Issac Selhore (Faizabad/Bombay). I have checked the English and Overseas databases but I have hit a brick-wall. Can I please request your help in finding out more information about by my Ancestors, this would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Kind Regards,  Mary Petersen (nee Menzies) Australia.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Madras (now Chennai) India - Any information on Davis and Menzies families.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of James Menzies (29) and Emily Davis (18) in 1907

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BL%2FBIND%2F005138074%2F00295&parentid=BL%2FBIND%2FM%2F165881%2F1

Marriage of an Emanuel Menzies (20) and MarioSeram (?) (14) in 1876. Emanuel a Clerk in the Invalid Dept

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BL%2FBIND%2F005137636%2F00057&parentid=BL%2FBIND%2FM%2F108374%2F1

Burial of Emmanuel Menzies, a clerk, aged 60, in Madras in 1920
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BL%2FBIND%2F005138088%2F00202&parentid=BL%2FBIND%2FD%2F486992
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryEmily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun thanks very much for your reply. I opened your links and have seen the Marriage records of James Menzies and Emily Davis, and Emmanuel Menzies and Marie Seram. (I believe it's Marie Seram and I am surprised she is only 14 yrs old. I heard that those days some ladies were married at a young age). I am not sure what "the Invalid Depot" means. The last record of the Burial of Emmanuel Menzies I am not able to open the link as I think I may have to join Findmypast, but I can see this record on Familysearch.org (Church of Jesus Latter-day Saints). Familysearch.org is a free website  and the records are on this website too. I seen in one of the websites Emmanuel Menzies was born in England I think 1860, can I please request your help on this. Thanks very much Shaun once again. Kind regards Mary.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 23 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Emmanuel Menzies died 1 January 1920 buried 2 January 1920 at Kilpatrick and St Patrick Cemeteries.

He died of Pleurisy. Age 60 years 4 months

ADDED
It seems likely he was born Scotland

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryEmily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 23 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much amondg and heywood for your replies. Please let me know amondg where I can find Emmanuel Menzies Birth certificate as you said it seems likely he was born in Scotland, thank you so much. It's not on Ancestry.com, Findmypast or Familysearch.org. Kind regards Mary.

Offline MaryEmily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 23 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear all regarding my Great Grandfather John Davis and my Grandmother Emily Davis connections I have hit a brick wall. I have replied to a Kitaglassan on one of his messages "John Davis" who went to India:  "Hi Kiltaglassan, thank you. Thanks very much for your reply and the links. I am hoping this John Davis and Jane McCay are my Great Grandparents. I also know Emily Davis was in a Boarding school St. Columbans Anglo-indian High School in George-Town, Madras. She married my Grandfather James Menzies in 1907 at the age of 18yrs and my Grandfather was 29yrs old. My father Herbert said my Grandfather James had to get permission to marry my Grandmother from Lord and Lady Ampthill in England. On another note, one of my Great Great (not sure how many Greats) Grandmothers was working in Queen Victoria's court as a Lady-in-waiting or Nanny, not sure.   Thanks very much once again for your reply. Kind regards Mary". I would appreciate any help in this regard. Thanks very much. Kind regards Mary.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 January 23 08:11 GMT (UK) »
This is the other thread you refer to - just for information
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=602321

Lord Ampthill was the Governor of Madras around the time of the marriage
https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Oliver_Russell,_2nd_Baron_Ampthill

I think so,diners had to receive permission to marry so that might be part of the family recollection.

If your female ancestor was employed in the royal household, do you have a surname etc?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk