Author Topic: David Dick - 34th (Fifeshire) Militia/93rd Regiment of Foot (Sutherland Highland  (Read 289 times)

Offline Maurie1945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am researching my 3xggf David Dick. This is what I know so far. David Dick was a private in the 34th Fifeshire Militia having enlisted in 1803 before volunteering to join the 93rd Regiment of Foot (Sutherland Highlanders) in 1805. David fought with the 93rd in the Battle of Cape Town (1806) and New Orleans (1815). He died in Limerick, Ireland in 1818. While in South Africa David married and had a family.

I think David was probably the son of Andrew Dick and Isobel Taylor having been baptised at Cults, Fife on 25 May 1783. This would have made him 20yo when he joined the military. He was reputedly a weaver. If I have the correct David he would have been only 35 when he died.

I am trying to get proof that David was who I think he was. To do this I am hoping that there is a record of him joining the Fife Militia and that this provides some detail of the actual date he enlisted, his age, parentage, residence, or whatever.

I have employed a person to do research for me at TNA Kew which has been very successful, but unfortunately the records covering the 34th FM for the first half of 1803 are missing.

Not easy doing Scottish Militia research from Australia.

Offline iregurl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: David Dick - 34th (Fifeshire) Militia/93rd Regiment of Foot (Sutherland Highland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 November 23 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I don't have information on David Dick but I am also looking for my ancestor who was in the 34th Fifeshire MIlitia in 1802-1804.  I did find an old website that's been archived and from there found the old owner who still has his database.  I got the name of the commanding officer, and the dates of his service.  It also included his marriage record.  I suggest you give him a try.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100069668169854

This is the old website:  https://web.archive.org/web/20190312015042/http://www.thaneofife.org.uk/

Can I ask what information you got from the Kew Archives?  I live in Canada and want to know if it's worth paying someone to access the records.

Rosalie

Offline Maurie1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David Dick - 34th (Fifeshire) Militia/93rd Regiment of Foot (Sutherland Highland
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 December 23 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Rosalie,

Thank you for your response. I do have those contact details already.

If you want research done at TNA I do have the name of a researcher who I used and who I found very thorough and at reasonable cost per hour..

An example:

WO 13/736
These pay books cover the period from 24th April 1803 to 24th December 1803 to 24th April 1803 with a separate book for each month. Unfortunately, it appears the books for the first four months of the year to 24th April 1803 were missing.
David Dick was found under the command of William Rutherford as a Private each month. The first entry from 24th April to 25th May does not state that he had just joined and he is paid for that full paid. No other personal details are provided for him.

Have a look at www.spfhhistory.co.uk .

I also found the Fifeshire Family History people helpful

Also Scottish & UK newspapers from around that time lets you track movements to a certain extent.

Hope this helps

Maurie