Author Topic: Dilemma....What's going on with name change ?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dilemma....What's going on with name change ?
« on: Saturday 28 January 23 21:14 GMT (UK) »
My maternal 2nd grt grand parents have proved elusive till now....I could not get any certificates to prove who they where and whence they came from I had their names/surnames from my mother's middle names also certificates confirming who my grand mothers parents where but her fathers name was proving difficult to trace document wise the only proof I had was in the census returns regarding his siblings and parents they where all there 1881 1891 1901 as they should be, then his marriage cert in 1906 states his fathers name and occupation again correct as census a small change in his mother's name but only an added middle name (which aided and frustrated me) then his death cert in 1937 which again reiterated both names, so i have been searching those surnames to no avail or wrong family lines till now........Im not asking for any one to spend credits on certificates because I believe i have all or all thats needed for proof but I do need someone to help me understand why the deception if its not to strong of a phrase and decide how to put it down on my tree sorry to be long winded but i will start with known facts.
John Morrison b.1885 in Cathcart........ have his marriage 1906 and death 1937 but no birth found see attachments.........the census's are as follows.
                                                       1881................1891..................1901................1911
John       Morrison                               26                    36                       50                    74 
  Marion    Morrison                               23                    33                       40                    53
  William    Morrison                               2                     12                       20                     -
 Evelina    Morrison                               0                     10                         -                     28
 Barbara   Morrison                               -                       8                        17                     -     
 John       Morrison(my grt grand father) -                       5                        15                   15?
 Marion    Morrison                                -                       2                        11                     -   
 Lydia      Morrison                                -                       0                          8                     -   
 Edwin     Morrison                                -                       -                          -                      -       
 Edwin     Morrison                                -                       -                          0                      ?   
 Mary      Morrison                                 -                      -                          2                     13
So most of this is correct but the 1911 census ages are out and Edwin is mis conscribed as John I think and in 1891 there is a boarder aged 20 named Robert Shaw (taken as Marion's brother) all census's are near accurate for John householder's job as a ship's painter/caulker (or house painter in 1) also through out they state birth places as England for John senior Govan for wife Marion (confirmed birth cert) England for 1st 2 children then Govan for Barbara Cathcart for John and Marion then Govan for Edwin and Mary (1st Edwin I found later born then died so was not on any Census 1911 census stated Marion had 9 children 8 alive and married for 33 years).
Henderson
Crawford

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma....What's going on with name change ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 January 23 21:14 GMT (UK) »
The 1921 census has John aged 77 Marion 66 a Philip Johnston and Mary Johnston aged 23 so everything seemed to tie in OK but I still could find no Marriage no Birth or Death certificates except for John Morrison born 1885 death cert, I even found Marion senior down in Liverpool with family in 1871 then a close link for the 1881 census in Wellington Shropshire for the first census but only Marion birth place tied in correct so after countless wrong downloads of certificates I eventually found them but every birth (except John? senior) and mother Marion (which I have) states their last name as McGaughie every christian name and age and place of birth seems correct but why...why state all births with I think their correct surname but for decades carry on calling yourself by another this led me to find John senior's death in 1924 Govan his real name is Edwin Clark McGaughie then mother Marion's death in 1929 Govan she is down as Marion McLean Morrison formerly McGaughie which I had dismissed years previously as i couldn't find her death cert for parents name, since then I have found their children's BDM certs but some have reverted to McGaughie in marriage and death and some state Morrison also some state mother's maiden name as McLean others Shaw it's Mclean Shaw on husband's death cert which also states his parents as John Clark McGaughie county council clerk ? deceased and Lydia McGaughie ms Wells informant is son John McGaughie 30 Queen St Govan which is where my granny's father was living (1925 valuation roll) and where my granny was born but i cant find no McGaughie resident so have I got the right information data to end my search or not ?........ why cant I tie any Morrison's to the date's on census's given or McGaughie's either is this just a way round anti Irish sounding names all married in protestant church's I havent found any Catholic connection's till my grandmothers marriage I hope I have explained in enough detail and even if I can't find an answer hope it aids other's in their searches. Thanks for reading and any help that's forwarded.
P.S. think I also have found a marriage for Edwin Clark McGachey (and hopefully Marion) in 1877 Bolton Lancashire England which ties in with a census record for the birth of son William in 1878/9 in Little Hulton which I believe is in the Bolton district.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 23 21:33 GMT (UK) »
The 1921 Census Mary Johnston turns out to be daughter Mary Morrison born Mary Ann McGaughie 1898 in Govan she went on to marry Philip Johnston in 1920 in Govan.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 January 23 21:43 GMT (UK) »

Amended by me -

You have gone to a lot of effort to give all this information.

It is rather overwhelming, and difficult to use.

Who are you researching?

"My maternal 2nd grt grand parents have proved elusive till now"

Who is the great grand parent, son/daughter of the maternal 2nd grt grand parents?

Is he the John MORRISON, died 1937, whose death record is attached, and you are

working with the names of parents on that certificate?

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 January 23 22:00 GMT (UK) »
yes sorry typing and thinking got muddled.... John Morrison grt grand father according to marriage in 1906 aged 20 so born 1885/6 father is John Morrison (house painter) and Marion McLean Morrison ms Shaw both alive.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 January 23 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I believe this to be his birth cert as I have been unable to trace a John Morrison born 1885/6 with named parents.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 January 23 22:13 GMT (UK) »

Thank you.

Marriage certificate, 1906, what information do you see for witnesses?

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 January 23 22:18 GMT (UK) »
A Thomas McCluskey and Margaret Collins no family connection poss friends. Have posted his death cert here as well.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 January 23 22:27 GMT (UK) »

Is there a second marriage for mother Marion McLean SHAW?