Author Topic: Looking for burial record in Windermere parish in 1676/7 for Alice Stewardson  (Read 459 times)

Offline treehuntress

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm hoping someone has access to the early Windermere parish records, as I need to find the full content of the burial record for Alice Stewardson (spelled Allice) on 6 Jan 1676/7, her spouse was Thomas Stewardson. Somehow I missed this record when I went through all of the microfilms for Windermere several years ago, but I found it today in an index on FamilySearch. It's a key piece in the puzzle of this family. Thank you so much if you can help out.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for burial record in Windermere parish in 1676/7 for Alice Stewardson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 23 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

Could you please post a link to the index entry on FamilySearch, as I am unable to find the transcription of her burial.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline treehuntress

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for burial record in Windermere parish in 1676/7 for Alice Stewardson
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 February 23 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry, I should have posted this:

Digital Folder Number: 007561522
Image Number: 01301

I couldn't find the record for her either, but found it when searching for Thomas Stewardson, her husband.

Thank you so much!!!

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 February 23 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I found it:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4WZ4-N8W2

It was indexed under the name Alli?e Stewardson.

I have searched on every website I can think of (both subscription-based and free) and, unfortunately, it does not appear that the parish registers have been digitised.

However, having looked through countless 17th-century burial records over the years, it is very rare for more information to be given than what the transcription has already provided. I imagine the image of the parish register would contain the exact same information.

Is there something in particular you are looking for when it comes to solving the puzzle?

Offline treehuntress

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 23 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you your help with this.

I was looking mostly for whether she was wife or widow of Thomas Stewardson, and secondly their abode, if given. As Windermere parish church was the closest to where they lived, most of the family's burials were there, but they were actually living in Cartmel parish, Lancashire, and it was usually noted on the records. Makes it complicated. I also wanted to confirm that the date (6 Jan 1676) was not adjusted for the current calendar by the transcriptionist.

If she was the wife of Thomas, then he would have been the one who married another woman mere months later, and had 3 more children (he would have been 60 when he married her). Otherwise, I still have a mystery Thomas Stewardson hanging around. It's been a brick wall I have battered at for a long time, and I'm cross that I didn't pick that record up when I went through all those microfilms. Those records are a mess by the way, with lots of staining and faded ink. And bad handwriting. It's probably why they haven't been transcribed yet because no-one wants to take it on.

Still, the record index came up, there should be a record in there somewhere. Unfortunately I live far from the nearest place where I can go through the LDS records, and have no car.

Anyway, thank you very much for trying to help, I really do appreciate it!

Warm regards,
Wendy

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 23 18:59 GMT (UK) »
In my experience, if a husband is mentioned, then he is usually alive. If the husband is dead, the woman is often just described as widow, with no late husband's name provided. There are exceptions to this rule, but that is what I see most often.

Cumbria Archives hold the parish registers for Windermere, and you could ask for a copy, but that would obviously incur a fee. Sometimes people offer to do look-ups for people if they are visiting the centre for their own research purposes, but that is heavily dependent on the right person finding this post.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Offline treehuntress

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 23 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I, too, think that she was his wife not his widow so I'm going to move forward on that premise, and keep looking for documentation. I rarely do this as I usually insist on having the documentation first.

Thank you again for your help, Queenie, you've been a star.

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Three generations of my Barton family were rectors at St Martins,Windermere,and as previously noted,the original records are in poor condition and the handwriting is poor.
Some years back i found this document to fill some gaps.
https://archive.org/stream/cu31924104038637/cu31924104038637_djvu.txt
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline treehuntress

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information on the church of Windermere - it sounds like a lovely church. I didn't however see any mention of the Stewardson, who were actually a very small family in the area compared to others, and mostly they lived on the Cartmel Fell side of the lake.