Author Topic: Leitrimmore East Galway Costelloe's  (Read 214 times)

Offline MacOisdealbh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leitrimmore East Galway Costelloe's
« on: Monday 06 February 23 20:09 GMT (UK) »
 Hello,
 I posted some info to clarify which Margaret Costello married Laurence Burke.
Hopefully Samhuzz reads the post.

I am stuck/ brick walled at or  with a ggggrandad ,  John Costelloe born 1793 in Leitrimmore.

His marriage was to Mary Flanagan, 1825, they had a Mary,  a Bridget, then James my gggranddad then there is a  a gap of records  from 39 to 58,  during the  famine years in the Leitrim Parish books.

I ordered and paid for Johns  death cert from 1868 in Leitrim, confirmed in the parish books.
There were twoJohns died in 1867 and 1868.

I know John Costelloe is James Costelloe b 1837 (wife Mary Dwyer)   father.
  James 2 her brother is my great Granddad , my Grandfather Roberts father.

I have everything covered except for other brothers and sisters of James 1 born 1837.

Grififths evaluation and Tythes records 1828  confirm a John,  and the same  John  Costelloe with an e in Leitrimmore and Leitrimbeg for John, 1856,   and in Kylebrack for John and James 1856, sharing land together.

They both worked for or were tenant famers for Lord Clonbrock, who was a wonderful man and landlord, an exception to the rule in the tenat clearance times, this  according to my research.

L Clonbrock has extensive photography, first camera in that area circa 1860's??
look forward to a better record search if I get back to the old sod one day.

I also found a John Costello no e in Ahascragh, 1825, which was Lord Clonbrocks main house and property. Clonbrock owned all the land in Leitrim Parish or Barony as well, the Costelloe's worked the same plots until they bought them in 1912 ??

going way back 1588 John MacCostelloe sold all the family properties, quite a big list, to Lucas Dillon, Mayo Roscommon and Galway properties that they had owned for over 500 years.

Lord Clonbrock  was his direct  descendant.

Also, the   Dillons were known for helping families associated with them, John Mac C daughter had married a Dillon son of Lucas, so possibly connection through there somehow.

Eg.In 1735 ?? Jordan MacCostelloe, Esq, after bad business deals ,  was give a role on the Mayo properties his ancestor  had sold,  as a favour/job and place to live,  so there is a precedent for helping associated family members like this.

Thanks.
MacO
Costelloe, Whelan, Sheil,  Donohoe, Dwyer, Flanagan, Fahy, Hickey,East Galway:
 Graham, Williamson, Carmichael; Armagh
 Boyne, Russell, Kearns, Moore, Carty,  Dublin 2, Trinity Ward, Westland Row