Author Topic: Railwaymen's holiday scheme?  (Read 406 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Railwaymen's holiday scheme?
« on: Tuesday 14 February 23 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Here's one for the collective RootsChat brain to ponder.

My great grandfather William Henry Oakey, after working as a solicitor's clerk and as a librarian at Gray's Inn (where he apparently compiled a beautiful copperplate index of volumes ... which was lost when the library succumbed to a fire bomb in the blitz) worked (with a brief interlude for war service) as a clerk on the London & North Western Railway, then from 1923 the London Midland & Scottish Railway, finally retiring in 1948 fom the newly-formed British Railways. (His railway service records will have been destroyed in the 1951 fire at Derby, which is a great pity ... )

So far as I can tell he spent his entire life in St Pancras and Watford, and his entire railway service at Euston and Watford Central stations.

It therefore came as something of a surprise to me to find, in the 1921 census, 37 year old William Henry Oakey and his entire family (my 37 year old grandmother Charlotte Eliza Oakey, my 11 year old grandmother Edith Eleanor Oakey, 6 year old great aunt Marjorie Kathleen Oakey, 8 year old great uncle William Charles Oakey and baby great uncle Albert Edward Oakey) all shown as visitors in the household of Edwin Alfred Parker a 1 Shaftesbury Place, Preston, Brighton.

Edwin Alfred Parker was 44 years old, and his household consisted of himself, 45 year old Ellen Gertrude Parker, 16 year old Mabel Louise Parker, 10 year old Rose May Parker and 5 year old Doris May Parker.

(RG15 Piece 04941 Schedule 1 District Reference RD 80 RS 1 ED 12)

Edwin and Ellen Parker were married in 1903 (Registered Sussex, Brighton 1903 Q2 volume 2B page 445) and Ellen's maiden name was Gray.

I cannot find any family connection between the Oakeys and the Parkers, and no geogrphical proximity which might have led to their becoming friends at any point in their lives, which begs the question why the Oakeys were visitors, en  masse, in the house of the Parkers (which must have become very corwded to accommodate them all) on the night of the census.

However, Edward Alfred Parker's occupation is shown as "Machinist, LBSC" (i.e. London, Brighton & South Coast Railway) and this got me to wondering whether there was in operation some sort of railwaymen's holiday scheme whereby railwaymen in desirable holiday locations such as Brighton welcomed other railwaymen into their homes. One family got a cheap holiday, and the other got some much-needed additional income.

If anybody knows of such a scheme (perhaps organised under the auspices of the National Union of Railwaymen) I'd love to hear a little more about it.

(The only other possibility I can think of is that William Henry Oakey and Edwin Alfred Parker became friends on war service ... William Henry Oakey definitely served in the trenches and according to my mother was gassed and suffered broken health for the rest of his life ... but there are several possible candidates with that name and I have not been able to tie down his service record so I don't know his regiment ... trying to trace Edwin Alfred Parker's war record and seeing whether he served in any of the regiments that William Henry Oakey might have served in is one possible avenue to explore ... but I don't want to go there until I have ruled out the possibilit of a railwaymen's holiday scheme, which seems the more likely explanation.)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Railwaymen's holiday scheme?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Shaftesbury Place is a short road off Ditchling Rise which provides access to the London Road Brighton railway station. Number 1 is a relatively modest end of terrace house 25 yards from the station entrance. Today it has four levels but I suspect the room in the attic is a recent addition. I did wonder if it might have been a guest house in 1921, but I don't think it is big enough.
Oddly the 1911 Kelly's for Sussex says the occupier of 1 Shaftesbury Place is a Mrs Louisa Leman, dressmaker. However the 1911 census has her, her husband William and their children at 3 Ditchling Road, Brighton about a quarter of a mile away. I'm assuming that the census is the more up to date information as the Kelly's was probably compiled in late1910. The address search function on FindMyPast doesn't show any results for 1 Shaftesbury Place in the 1911 census.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Oooooh ... thanks for the photo and geographical information.

It would be a bit of a crush with four adults and 7 children, even if the attic room WERE already there in 1921 ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 21:44 GMT (UK) »
The occupants in the 1911 census were George Gooch Doughty and family. The house had 8 rooms.

FindMyPast's transcriber recorded the address as 1 Shafterbury Place.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 09:34 GMT (UK) »
The occupants in the 1911 census were George Gooch Doughty and family. The house had 8 rooms.

FindMyPast's transcriber recorded the address as 1 Shafterbury Place.

Maybe pure coincidence,  George    Gooch.   Doughty,  Sir Daniel Gooch was the first superintendent of the Great Western Railway, another railway connection

Mike

Offline ColinBignell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Image licenced from iStock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Oooooh ... thanks for the photo and geographical information.

It would be a bit of a crush with four adults and 7 children, even if the attic room WERE already there in 1921 ...

I remember four adults and five kids in a two bedroom flat in the 1950s, which was the upper half of a smaller house than that, in London. Relatives from Wales were visiting. We kids slept top and bottom of my parents' double bed (my cousin kept kicking the bottom of my feet all night). One of the adults got my single bed and the others used folding camp beds that we used when we went camping. I don't recall it feeling cramped at the time, but certainly would today.
BIGNELL Oxon, Newport Pagnell Bucks, Highgate, Islington North London
MIDDLETON King's Lynn Norfolk
WILKINSON Islington North London
FARNBANK Berks, Middx
REYNOLDS Newport Pagnell Bucks
GOODING Middx
JEROME Berks
BARKER King's Lynn Norfolk