Author Topic: John MARTIN & Mary Snowdon PUTT Marriage 1863  (Read 314 times)

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Great, Great Granny Willoughby
    • View Profile
John MARTIN & Mary Snowdon PUTT Marriage 1863
« on: Wednesday 15 February 23 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I need help with some marriage information.
John Martin b1811 Launceston, Cornwall met & married Mary Snowden Putt b1820 Marlborough, Devon quite late in life in 1863. They went on to have a daughter in 1865, Mary Jane Bonthron Martin. I have just sent off for their daughter's birth certificate & have traced back on her mother's side, but I cannot find her father's line.
Does anyone have the details of Plymouth parish marriages? Or can you tell me where I could go to check the parish registers within Plymouth? I have Ancestry & Find My Past. I have tried looking on The Box Archives, but nothing is clear even though the Plymouth council site say they have parish registers.
Any help gratefully received.
Regards, Suzanne.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John MARTIN & Mary Snowdon PUTT Marriage 1863
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 18:52 GMT (UK) »
It may have been a registry office wedding in which case you will have to buy the marriage certificate

http://marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1863&qtr=3&vol=5b&page=431&search=search

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 19:21 GMT (UK) »
At that age, it seems likely that John would have been married before.

Possible 1861 census for John in Devon. He is 50 years old (transcribed as 30, but looks like 50 to me), a gardener, born in S. Petherwin, Cornwall, which is located within the Launceston R.D. He is described as widower.

Based on that birth place, there is this possible 1851 census:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGJQ-P39

Living with them is a Jane Newburry, which would match up with the marriage of a John Martin, servant, to Susan Newbury in 1840. His father on this marriage certificate is given as William Martin, labourer.

Possible baptism:

John, son of William & Jenny Martyn, baptised 7th September 1806 in South Petherwin, Cornwall.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Great, Great Granny Willoughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!
I had seen that & was going round in circles wondering if I had imagined the info. The Bonthron bit threw me & until I received the marriage certificate I thought maybe they had adopted Mary Jane based on their ages.
The lady who I am researching for remembers snippets of stories from her mum, but had no concrete information. She has paperwork to still go through, but it's mostly photos.
It's the Bonthron bit that is ringing bells on a story she remembers. I am trying to keep costs down for her, but certificates are inevitable. I will have another look tomorrow with fresh eyes.
Again thank you.
Suzanne.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 23 00:43 GMT (UK) »
The Bonthron bit threw me & until I received the marriage certificate I thought maybe they had adopted Mary Jane based on their ages.
It's the Bonthron bit that is ringing bells on a story she remembers.

Was interested in finding the link between John Martin and the Bonthron name (which is rather uncommon), so did a bit more research for you.

As John was born in South Petherwin, I looked for Bonthrons who had connections to this area, and came across a lady called Joanna Bonthron, who was born in South Petherwin around 1801; she was married to a man called John Bonthron.

Here she is in 1861, but she is also easy to find in the other censuses:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7B7-YS7

I then delved deeper and found her on the 1841 census with a young woman called Elizabeth Martin, who was working as their servant:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQT5-P91

The Martin connection made me think I was onto something, so I kept going.

I then looked at John's siblings, thinking she may be a sister, and that's when I found this baptism:

Joanna, daughter of William & Jenny Martyn, baptised on 29th December 1799 in South Petherwin, Cornwall.

It seems as though Mary's middle name may have been inspired by John's sister Bonthron and/or her husband (if I've got the right people!). I cannot find a marriage for them, but I'm thinking that it is because John may have already been married, specifically to a lady called Sarah Thomas in 1818. 

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 23 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Marriage;
16 Oct 1799, St Paternus, South Petherwin
Wm MARTYN to Jenny GARLAND
William a Labourer, Jenny a Spinster
Parish of both South Petherwin
Witnesses, Samuel MARTYN/William HARVEY
(FreeREG)

A SAMUEL Martin married Mary TURNER 02 Apr 1794 same Church (possible Brother?)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)