Author Topic: Whorlton (Durham) PRs 1626-1812  (Read 232 times)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Whorlton (Durham) PRs 1626-1812
« on: Saturday 18 February 23 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I have a paper copy of the extracted PR entries for Whorlton: Baptisms 1626 - 1812; Marriages 1713 - 1812 and Burials 1669 - 1899. PM me if you need a lookup.

Andy

Offline OllieOz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whorlton (Durham) PRs 1626-1812
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 23 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy J2022- Just joined RootsChat and saw your offer of Whorlton records help. I have very scant details, but am hoping you might check for me anyway please.  Am told relevant records would have been destroyed in WW2 blitz! GGGF Joseph Middleton.  CofE. Conscripted into Army 1832* whilst in hospital at Darlington.  Noted as a farm labourer from Whorlton on limited Kew 15th Rgt of Foot info. Deserted English Army in Canada, tried there, on hulk in Thames for a while, then transported to Australia in 1838 on Benghal Merchant. *date of birth from this (from Kew researcher) is March/April 1813.  Dates on convict records range from 1810 to 1814!!  All records note Durham, but not whether it was the city or the county.  Aim is to try to fin parents' names.  His son incorrectly filled out his DC, so no joy there.  Any thing you find would be appreciated please.  Stay safe, Olwyn, Brisbane, Queensland, Asutralia.  Midday here Sunday - 32 degrees C.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 March 23 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Olwyn,

Unfortunately the baptisms only go up to 27 December 1812, so if he was born March/April 1813 he won't be there. Even if he was born as early as 1810, sadly there's no baptism for him in the years 1810-12.
The only Middleton entries are:
Edward - witness to the marriage of Margaret Middleton (of this parish) to Robert Raine of Staindrop [neighbouring village] on 7 December 1774
Elizabeth Baptised 19 May 1776, daughter of George Middleton of Barffot [no idea where this is; doesn't appear to be a neighbouring village so maybe the name of a farm or house within the village; there is a farm at Barford Moor about 2 miles or 3km North of Whorlton]
George - also a witness at same marriage as Edward above.
Jennet Buried 23 July 1688
Margaret married 7 Dec 1774 to Robert Raine.

According to a quick search on FamilySearch there are quite a few nineteenth century Middletons whose place of birth is shown as Whorlton in the censuses. The 1841 census has a Middleton family consisting of 9 individuals spread over 3 generations living at Arlaw Banks, 1 mile from the centre of Whorlton (see centre of this map). The address comes under the adjacent village of Gainford, but it's physically closer to Whorlton. No Joseph among them but the oldest son John is still living at home, born 1816.

Sorry not to have been of more help.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 March 23 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Olwyn.

It's occurred to me that since Joseph was in hospital in Darlington, it's possible that he came from the identically named village of Whorlton on North Yorkshire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whorlton%2C_North_Yorkshire

Offline OllieOz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 23 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy, your prompt response is greatly appreciated.  Will check out the Yorkshire angle.  Joseph had a blue ring tattooed on his ring finger (+ some other tattoos) when he boarded ship for Australia. This apparently often meant that convict was married.  Maybe I need to check for this in Yorkshire as well.  We visited Whorlton for a couple of hours in 2019 - very beautiful!
Many people have claimed my Joseph on various ancestry sites, most probably by copying info supplied by others.  My research started with finding his DC in my Dad's paperwork. Whilst as often is the case on DCs, some info was incorrect, but I do know that I have the right Joseph by his Australian paper trail. Many have him committing offences in England at the same time he was in Australia!
Thanks again for all your help.  Cheers