Author Topic: Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971  (Read 493 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971
« on: Monday 20 February 23 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I found a marriage record for Anne Heather and John Nelthorpe (transribed Welthorpe) married in 1710 here:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6ZB6-5XD1?cid=fs_copy
I am not able to go the our local FHL to see if it is in their collection in person. I do know that this cannot be shared through the FHL request service because I tried but it is against the agreement they have (which I completely understand). I am trying to verify that John was a widow and his occupation (if I am lucky) as well Anne's age. I am not able to find it in any of the genealogy databases or freereg.com. Is anyone familiar with the Essex Archives? I just tried searching their catalog without luck for this specific set of records. I also wonder if they have a paid service to obtain a copy? Thanks!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 23 23:09 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is wrongly cited by FamilySearch.

It wasn’t in Essex, and it wasn’t non-conformist. It was in the Anglican Church of St James, Westminster, Middlesex, on 30 September 1710, with an Archbishop of Canterbury’s licence:

John Nelthorpe of St Margar(e)t W(estminste)r
Ann Heather of this P(arish) p(er) L: A: B: C.

The image of the marriage register is on Ancestry. The licence index (on FindMyPast) shows that the licence was issued through the Faculty Office on 28 September 1710.

The allegation for the marriage licence may show whether John Nelthorpe was a bachelor, but there’s no online access. You can order a copy of the marriage allegation for £15.00, or view it at an LDS Family History Centre for free.

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this. I will try it the next time I can visit the family history library (which is closed at the moment). I truly appreciate your help!

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 23 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I was finally able to go to my local Family History Library but unfortunately the record I am looking for was not available to view, just the transcribed facts that I posted a link to and the information that Bookbox found on FindMyPast. I am in the US so that might have something to do with it but not sure. Bookbox mentioned the allegation could be ordered for £15.00 but I am unsure where or how this can be ordered. If anyone has a link I would appreciate the help. Thanks very much!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 23 22:00 GMT (UK) »
The allegations for Faculty Office licences have been digitised by FamilySearch, so it is disappointing that there was no access to the record at your local FHC.

In case you revisit, for an allegation dated 28 September 1710, this appears to be the relevant entry from the catalogue …
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/57581?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Marriage allegations from the Archbishop of Canterbury Faculty Office for Great Britain, 1632-1851; and a calendar of marriage licenses for the allegations, 1632-1955
V. 40-41 
Aug 1710 - Jul 1711   
Film 355463   
Image Group 8044794

Alternatively, for £15.00 you can order a digitised copy from the Society of Genealogists in London, using this link …
https://societyofgenealogists-shop.myshopify.com/products/faculty-office-marriage-license-allegation?variant=40123742060729

Click Add to Cart, then in the Add a Note box enter the names of both parties and the date the licence was issued – 28 September 1710 (NOT the date of the marriage). There seem to be a couple of different payment methods.

The content of these records varies quite a lot, so I’m afraid it can’t be guaranteed that it will have the information you’re looking for, but you might be lucky.

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 March 23 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for all of this information. It is certainly worth even if it doesn't have much more. Once and a while they are worth the attempt so I will take a gamble. Again, thanks so much for the instructions!

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 March 23 00:22 GMT (UK) »
After revisiting the Family History Library last week and discussing your suggestions Bookbox, with the staff, I realized that I was looking in the wrong place for the image. I was able to find the license in the set of records that you kindly mentioned with the URL that you included. I confirmed the signature on the license of the marriage with the one on his will! No occupation was mentioned but Anne's age of 30 was also in the record. Many thanks for all of your help!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 March 23 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Excellent that you got a positive result. Thanks for posting the update.