Author Topic: Hobbs of Easterton & Market Lavington  (Read 354 times)

Offline ShazAlexander

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hobbs of Easterton & Market Lavington
« on: Thursday 23 February 23 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
In my adventures among the Hobbs family of Easterton and Market Lavington, I've come across a series of people for whom I've found baptism dates but can't find any further information (they are all siblings of my direct ancestors). I just thought it was worth asking if anyone had further info on these individuals....

Sarah Hobbs - Baptised 30th March 1764 in Market Lavington. Daughter of William and Dinah.

Jonathan Hobbs - Baptised 31st January 1766 in Market Lavington. Son of William and Dinah.

Elizabeth Hobbs - Baptised 25th December 1777. Daughter of William and Dinah.

William Hobbs - Baptised 27th January 1792 in Market Lavington. Son of Samuel and Sarah.

Thomas Hobbs - Baptised 14th February 1794 in Market Lavington. Son of Samuel and Sarah.

Sarah Hobbs - Born 21st November 1802. Daughter of Samuel and Sarah. This might be the Sarah Hobbs who married in 1821 to Samuel Mead, but I don't feel confident about this.

Mary Hobbs - Baptised 3rd February 1805 in Market Lavington. Daughter of Samuel and Sarah. This might be the Mary Hobbs who married in 1823 to Thomas Fidler, but, again, I don't feel confident about this.

Benjamin Hobbs - Baptised 28th December 1828 in Market Lavington. Son of James and Elizabeth.

Sarah Hobbs - Baptised 15th April 1838 in Market Lavington. Daughter of James and Elizabeth.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbs of Easterton & Market Lavington
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 23 12:57 GMT (UK) »
What about 1842 census looking for Sarah with parents James and Elizabeth

Louisa Maud.
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ShazAlexander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 23 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I've actually been having trouble finding any of her family in the 1841 census  ???

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 23 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat Wiltshire - starting: Monday 22 August 2005, has the same heading: Total of 4 pages)

i.e. HOBBS family of Market Lavington & Easterton (from late 1500's).  Some of the Hobbs appear to have joined the Wilts Militia, due to the close proximity of Market Lavington and Easterton to Salisbury Plain.

etc. etc.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 23 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I've actually been having trouble finding any of her family in the 1841 census  ???

Quite a lot of the 1841 census is missing for Wiltshire - you can see details at FindMyPast:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/census-for-england-wales-and-scotland-missing-pieces

(I think this will work without you needing to be a subscriber or logged in, but if not, there's probably a list somewhere at The National Archives.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 23 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Checking on National Archives A2a

1781-1844

James HOBBS Aged 18 years.  Place of birth, Market Lavington
Royal Marines:

Held by : The National Archives, Kew - Admiralty, Navy, Royal Marines and Coastguards

----

James HOBBS, born Market Lavington, Wiltshire.   Again  Royal Marines etc. etc.

---

1809-1817

James HOBBS, Born Market Lavington, Wiltshire. Served in the 41st Foot Regiment, Discharged aged 30

---

Joseph HOBBS, born Lavington Market, Wiltshire.  Served in 37th Foot Regiment Oxford Militia, etc etc.  Discharged at 34.

Offline ShazAlexander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 23 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the information!

@arthurk, that explains a lot about my struggles with the Hobbs family and the 1841 census. Thank you for that!

@Capetown, thank you for directing me to the other Hobbs thread, which has made for some fascinating reading!

As is the way with family history, I now have lots of new information which isn't what I was originally looking for, but is all fascinating regardless  :)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 23 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Assume you have seen : Market Lavington Museum : Museum Blog - Drive Lane Cemetery - dated August 21 2015.  Photograph of James and Eliza HOBBS Grave - and the census returns relating to them etc.

Market Lavinton Museum on the net show the Electors for Market Lavington and Easterton 1836/7.

Listed is just John HOBBS Easterton.

---

British Newspapers on Line - do have 'some' hits

This is in the Salisbury and Winchester Journal : Monday 26 April 1819

----

The general quarter sessions of the peace for the county of Wilts commenced at the Council Chamber of this city on Tuesday last.  etc. etc.

Samuel HOBBS for stealing 8 fowls at Easterton;
3 mos. imp. (the latter to be privately whipped).

---

Thursday 26 August 1852
Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette

EASTERTON, WILTS
Three Votes for the County
Freehold Cottages and Gardens

COMBES & ELLEN will SELL by AUCTION (by order the mortgagee) on Wednesday, September 1st at The ROYAL OAK INN, Easterton, at four o'clock in the afternoon, subject to conditions which will then be produced, the following Property, in 2 lots, as follows:

LOT 1
Two Cottages, with large productive gardens, adjoining Easterton street, and in the occupation of JAMES HOBBS and HARRY DRAPER

etc.etc.

Offline ShazAlexander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 February 23 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the info, Capetown!
I am familiar with the Market Lavington Museum Blog.

I've just begun combing through the British Newspapers for Hobbs.

The James Hobbs in 1852 is my direct ancestor, I recognise his address (a cottage near the Royal Oak) from the 1851 census.
I believe the Samuel Hobbs who stole fowls in 1819 is also my direct ancestor, the dates seem to fit.

I keep seeing a Jonathan Hobbs, tin-plater and brazier, of Bristol, and wonder if this might be the Market Lavington born Jonathan? I would be interested if anyone has any other information.