Author Topic: Lamesley 1735 baptism of William or Thomas (blank)  (Read 239 times)

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lamesley 1735 baptism of William or Thomas (blank)
« on: Thursday 23 February 23 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks, my apologies, this is a partial repost from the Beginners board. I am still on the hunt for "my" William Wind b1730s of Cow Close Lamesley. I have found on DRO, a listing for a William (Surname blank) Bap 29 Jun 1735 son of a William (Cow Close).  This fits with children later born from 1755-70) to a William Wind of Cow Close. (I used an open scan of DRO for Cow Close).
I now looked up Genuki for Lamesly Baptisms (Boyds transcriptions) and find a Thomas (no surname) to a William of Cow Close with the same baptism date!
So I guess there are three possibilities.  1 Its a transcription error.  2 There were two baptised at the same time. And 3, William?1735 may not be a Wind.

I am not sure where to find any "original" record to explore how the record was created.
On DRO there seems to be a gap in registrations for Cow Close between about 1690 and begins again about 1720. I am not sure where or how to get further back from William Wind now assumed to be b1735.
Thank you for any insights or lookups that may shed some light on the family.
Winn, Wynne, Wynd, Wind, Winde

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lamesley 1735 baptism of William or Thomas (blank)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 23 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure where to find any "original" record to explore how the record was created.
The original record is held by Durham County Record Office
https://durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/search-options/search-church-registers/church-search-results/church-registers-item/?SearchType=AtoZ&SearchStart=L&ItemID=597680

Since you know the date of the baptism you could apply for a £5 'quick search' (such as you did on another thread recently) in order to see the original.

Alternatively you could email Durham Records Online and ask them to check their transcription and ask them on what it was based. I have always found them to be very helpful.

I think their transcript must be from the original, there is no mention of the 1730-1765 transcripts having been done from the BT's.
https://durhamrecordsonline.com/updates/2015/06/lamesley-baptisms-burials-1730-1765-marriages-1689-1764/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 23 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen, I think I will order the copy. This William is so elusive. It appears he is on my direct lineage, so it would be great to work out if this helps. I did find some Skinns that I thought may be a variation but it seems its a different family. A birth in 1735 on DRO to a father John Skinn so, it kind of excludes that family. Thanks for the hint.

ADDED - It seems the Quick Search is suspended until late 2023!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 23 14:59 GMT (UK) »
ADDED - It seems the Quick Search is suspended until late 2023!

Bother! This is now on their home page

Durham County Record Office is now closed for all enquiries (both in person and in writing) as we prepare our archive collections to move to The Story at Mount Oswald. We expect to remain fully closed until our move is completed. We look forward to welcoming you to our new home at The Story later this year.

You could try an email to Durham Records Online. They would be able to confirm the source of their transcription and might even check it for you. I have always found them to be very helpful and co-operative.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 23 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks. DRO very kindly got back to me and explained the discrepancy. They are unable to cross check just now due to the Records office closure. However this is the gist of what they cam back with.
DRO found that the Genuki Lamesley index at GenUKI has many errors. In June 2015 DRO processed a load of baptism, marriage, and discovered that the Lamesley baptism index supplied by Derek Boys at the GenUKI site has many errors. Many named William were converted at some point to Thomas, so a baptism in the register of "William Smith, son of William Smith" appears as "Thomas Smith, son of Thomas Smith". There are apparently hundreds of entries that say Thomas where the register says William or John. They also found date amd marriage errors in the Genuki records.

So I think I can rely on the DRO record. But I still cannot say that this William is a Wind but it does fit the timeline and later family records. I will accept this as a "best fit" at the moment. So, whats my next step. I guess I am looking at a "Wind" that has come to the early Cow Close pits for work, possibly from the Lumley clan/s. Any rays of hope someone can offer?

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 February 23 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, an update. I scanned DRO and FindMyPast for all W* (variations of William) and variations of Wind. I narrowed the timespan from 1650 to 1750 with an aim to identify any "williams" and try to identify births, deaths and marriages. It was a long process of elimination and a messy Excel sheet. The data was useful for other Winn/Wind families tho so not wasted. I have narrowed it down to two Williams. This would make them candidates to be the father of "William" born 1735 that appears to be the father of the five Cow Close kids.
Baptisms Washington Holy Trinity, 1708, Gulielmus [William] Winn (Washington), father Thomas Wind
Baptisms Chester-le-Street St. Mary and St. Cuthbert, 1709, William Wind (woodstone house), father Martin Wind

I believe that Woodstone House is near Lumley Thicks, just north of Chester Le Street. Washington is much close to Lamesley, but neither were far from Cow Close Lamesley.
I know its a huge leap to make, but these are the possibilities to be the William father of William Wind 1735. So its either someone not on any register we currently know (or I missed it), or one of the Williams 1708 or 1709.
Given that there is a gap in the records and the Lamesley registers are somewhat iffy, I wonder if there is any other way to exclude these two or begin to make a "semi guess". Not ideal genealogy I know, but thats where I am at. A LOT of "ifs" but would welcome any thoughts.