Author Topic: Lookup request - STREAT family on the Wellington COMPLETED  (Read 1486 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup request - STREAT family on the Wellington COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 01 March 23 10:41 GMT (UK) »
The Wellington sailed from London on 3 October 1881, arriving in Auckland on 2 January 1882.

Its steerage passengers included Mrs Mary Streat (sometimes spelled Street) and her five children.

The only thing is ... according to the 1881 census she had SIX children:

51 Westmoreland Place, Shoreditch (RG11 Piece 389 Folio 120 Page 30 Schedule 1175)

George Street, 57, head, General Labourer
Mary Street, 39, wife
Francis G Street, 16, son, Taylor's errand boy
Annie M Street, 13, daughter, scholar
William Street, 11, son, scholar
Richard Street, 8, son, scholar
Augustus Street, 3, son
Jennett Street, 3, daughter
Thomas Eyre, 27, boarder/lodger, boot clicker
Harry Bolton, 20, boarder/lodger, picture frame maker

I know that Mary's busband did not sail with them (he worked for Reid & Co's brewery and needed to finish his 30 years' service to qualify for his pension) ... but which of the six children did not sail with her?

If somebody with access to the passenger list could look this up and let me know, I should be exceedingly grateful. (My best guess is that it was one of the twins and that they had died in the interval between the 1881 census and October 1881 ... but I don't want to go looking for a death until I know for certain WHOSE death I am looking for ... and of course there is the further possibility that all six children sailed, but that one of them died on the voyage).
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request - STREAT family on the Wellington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Date is out but?

UK, Registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths at Sea, 1844-1890
Name:   Jeanette Streat
Death Age: 5
Event Type: Death
Birth Date: abt 1879
Death Date: 25 Jan 1884
Ship: Wellington
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 10:54 GMT (UK) »
That's going to be the one, Trish ... I got muddled with the dates.

The family sailed in two blocks ... her father and brothers saied in 1881, but she and her children followed them (same ship).

And mystery solved!

Thank you do much!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Still can't find the passenger list, though ...

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request - STREAT family on the Wellington COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I am happy I could help.

But dont have access to passenger list either.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 11:00 GMT (UK) »
How did you access the Register of Deaths at Sea?

It's not incorporated in the "civil deaths" on FindMyPast ... so I didn't get any hits when I searched for a death of 5 year old Jeanette Streat in 1884.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 12:43 GMT (UK) »
How did you access the Register of Deaths at Sea?

It's not incorporated in the "civil deaths" on FindMyPast ... so I didn't get any hits when I searched for a death of 5 year old Jeanette Streat in 1884.

" .... Reg. of  Deaths at Sea" available at ancestry.com ($ by subscription).

Had been busy searching for your earlier request > ship "Wellington" to Auckland 1881;D
For that voyage, there appears to only be a passenger list which was published in a New Zealand newspaper.  It did not include anybody by the name of STREAT or STREET (or other variation).

The death of wee Jeanette, was due to "whooping cough".

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Here's the passenger list* for the "Wellington" arriving in New Zealand in 1884 :
 https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ESD18840103.2.23

.... steerage passengers -- Mary, Francis. William, Richard, Annie, Jeannet and Augustin STREAT.

~   Lu

added :   The above newspaper report states that this voyage of the "Wellington"   (Capt. COWAN) was from London to Port Chalmers, NZ ( departure November 16 - 1883) :
Port Chalmers served the Otago province in the South Island (NZ) ... a long way from Auckland.

added  (2) :   *  = also refer to additional information (updated) at Reply # 18 :

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Oooohhh ... that's magnificent, Lucy ... thank you sooo much. And we see Jeanette in the list, too, as it's the departures list not the arrivals list.

Sorry to have wasted your time with the wrong voyage ... but if you are able ot post a link to that passenger list too it will not be entirely wasted, as there is a point I need to check in that one, too.

I'm still missing two passengers from this family: Augustine Adam King (who might go under either name) and Francis King. I think that Augustine Adam OUGHT to have been on the 1881/2 voyage; but all I know for Francis is that he was in New Zealand by May 1884.