Author Topic: Bridestowe Parish - LITTLEJOHNS  (Read 456 times)

Offline Alittle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridestowe Parish - LITTLEJOHNS
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 March 23 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Apologise John's death is 1850 I have the certificate I read his age on the system in error.

So this is where I got to about 6 years ago and I am now revisiting hope to find something new to clarify the link back to earlier Littlejohns but appear to be in the same mess.

I have a clear trail to William and from William to the 1841 census then it gets very unclear:

Farther is John (confirmed in William's marriage certificate) but the closest I could find was John Littlejohns born 1803 Bulkworthy
Using FindMyPast (I am an Ancestry member) I have now found a John Littlejohns born 1802 registered at Bratton Cloverlly which is more probable.

Mother is Jane (in 41 census) two apparently plausible possibilities
     Jane Edd(s)(Elder) - 1805 Thoverton not good but marriage record to John Littlehons 1827 Upton Payne
unfortunately the records from this time do not contain fathers name and the witnesses are probably church officials.

Jane Davy(Davey) - 1803 Crediton perfect but unable to find any marriage record

Incomplete records for children's (in 41 census) births/baptisms with possible links to all:
Bridestowe records with mother as Jane for Mary, John & James also with MMN as Davy
Also a record for Elizabeth Littlejohns with MMN as Davy not in 41 census
Holsworthy record for William with mother as Ann
No records for Thomas or Samuel

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 March 23 21:06 GMT (UK) »
     Jane Davy(Davey) - 1803 Crediton perfect but unable to find any marriage record
I posted details of both marriages in my reply #6.
1st marriage to EDDS and 2nd marriage to LITTLEJOHNS.

Holsworthy record for William with mother as Ann
This is clearly NOT your family. The Holsworthy baptisms belong to a different family.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Alittle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 March 23 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Neale I missed the linking of Jane and still had in my head two separate Jane's and great detective work.

My concern looking at this is there is a
Jane Davy (exact surname spelling) Baptism Jun 1805 in Exeter, is 16 too early for the marriage to Robert Edds?

Also another Robert Edds baptism Sep 1799 Rewe by Exeter is it more likely these two where married in Exeter?

Also found a Jane Edd Baptism Jun 1805 Thorverton same parents as the Robert Edds you found.

All very close together and with no father information on marriages a bit tricky to work out.