Author Topic: Parents of William Blackwell b1830 Northleach  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Julie Oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Parents of William Blackwell b1830 Northleach
« on: Wednesday 07 September 05 20:59 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the parents of William Blackwell b1830 in Northleach, Thornbury and married Emma Price.
They may be on the 1841 census?
Can anyone help please?
Julie
Blackwell, Logan, James, Parry, McCulloch, Fleming, McClure, Ward, Pope, King, Banks, Scarborough, Green, Kidgell, Gawthorn, Holmes, Platts, Taylor, Drysdale, Price, Bennett, Walker

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of William Blackwell b1830 Northleach
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 05 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

Some confusion here!

Northleach is in the exteme north east of Gloucestershire, while Thornbury is in the south.  You need to have a firm idea of where to look before searching the 1841 census, so if you can clarify someone may be able to help.

Do you have additional info, such as where the marriage took place and when?  Any siblings names would be handy if you know them.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Julie Oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 05 19:18 BST (UK) »
On the census returns for 1871 and 1881, William is shown as being born in Northleach, Gloucestershire. On the 1891, it shows Thornbury and on the 1901, it shows a place that I can't quite read. He has written 'Glos Cosingloi..' or something to that effect. As far as I know, he married Emma Price June 1873 in Thornbury where she was born.
Does this help? I think this may have been his 2nd marriage.
Thanks,
Julie
Blackwell, Logan, James, Parry, McCulloch, Fleming, McClure, Ward, Pope, King, Banks, Scarborough, Green, Kidgell, Gawthorn, Holmes, Platts, Taylor, Drysdale, Price, Bennett, Walker

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 05 20:07 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at your previous post on this subject, Julie.  It seems you had not got very many facts to work with at the time.  Have you got a birth cert for William's son Charles?  This would be very helpful, as would the marriage cert to Emma (which seems to be Newport rather than Thornbury??)

There are nor William BLACKWELLs born Northleach in the 1851 for Gloucestershire nor 1861 census in England.  Do you think he was in Wales by then?  Have you identified Emma in Wales before the marriage (which I appreciate may not be her!)

William would certainly be on the older side for a first marriage if he were born in 1830.

Still think you need to sort out a place of birth before anyone will find him in 1841, so maybe the certs will help?

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Julie Oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 05 08:14 BST (UK) »
William's son Charles is a bit of a mystery and I'm starting to think that he was Emma's child when she married William.
Emma and William were married in June 1873. !871 census does not show him with Charles who was living in Wales & apparently single.
I have alot of info regarding Emma Price, birth, parents etc. all from Thornbury & Oldbury. Charles was apparently born in Christchurch in 1869.
Possibly William is on an 1841 census for Northleach?
Thanks for your help with this.
Cheers,
Julie

Offline Eileen G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 September 05 22:01 BST (UK) »
There are two William Blackwell's on the 1841 census from Gloucestershire at about the correct age i.e. 10/11.

One was born in The Buches and the second one was born Littleworth.  Does this ring any bells?

Let me know.

Eileen

Offline Eileen G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 September 05 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hang on just looked at the actual register and The Buches and Littleworth is where they were living not where they were born.

So they were living at The Buches, Circencester and Littleworth, Stroud.

If you know any of the siblings that would clarify it.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 September 05 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen - welcome to Rootschat!!

I don't know if it helps at all, but there is an area of Cirencester called The Beeches.  The census should also tell you whether they were born in the county (but as you say, not the actual location)

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline Eileen G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 September 05 22:25 BST (UK) »
Well on one page of the register it does look like they've written the Beeches but on the opposite page it is definitely The Buches, now we know why writing clearly is so important huh!