Author Topic: Leitrim - 1833 Parish Records - Gallagher  (Read 461 times)

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leitrim - 1833 Parish Records - Gallagher
« on: Thursday 09 March 23 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am wondering if someone more experienced or familiar with the available records might be kind enough to help me search for a record of a baptism or christening of someone born circa 1833 in Leitrim, although I don't know anything more specific  in terms of place than the name of the county.

A woman who used the names Bridget,  but also sometimes Elizabeth Gallacher/Gallagher gave Leitrim as  her place of birth in the 1861 Census in Scotland.

On Ancestry,  the handwriting on the Census return was scanned /transcribed as Latimer, and it is on several individual Family Trees there.  However, from what I can tell,  there is no town or village in Ireland called Latimer.

On the scotlandspeople website looking at the original Census return, from the handwriting ,which is difficult to read, it could be Leitrim

Bridget / Elizabeth Gallagher born about 1833, had emigrated circa 1850 to New Orleans in Louisiana USA and there in 1852  married a  Robert Laurenson, a Mariner from Shetland Isles in Scotland. Subsequently she lived in Scotland

I would be grateful for any help or advice trying to find any record of her in Leitrim

Kind Regards

Morris

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leitrim - 1833 Parish Records - Gallagher
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 March 23 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've had a look and there are at least 8 baptisms in Leitrim which could be her.
It would help if you found her Scottish death certificate which should give her parents and that would narrow it down.
You say she lived in Scotland 1861 onwards.I can see the 1861 census(but only the transcription as I don't have the credits) ,I can't see her after 1864.The family seem to be split up on the 1871 census and Robert is living with his sons family 1891.When did she die? Is she on any other censuses?
The last sighting I can see is 11 Admiralty st Leith at birth of son James William

Ciderdrinker

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 March 23 14:47 GMT (UK) »
There is this death - Scotlands People

1866, Bressay

Elizabeth Laurenson, 32 yrs mmn White
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 March 23 15:02 GMT (UK) »

Looks good, heywood  :D

LAURENSON
ELIZABETH
WHITE
F
Ref: 001 / 1 / 19
BRESSAY

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 March 23 15:34 GMT (UK) »
A published tree has that death for a single woman, Elizabeth Laurenson, b 1834, Bressay. Her parents being Comyn (Cumming) Laurenson and Johanna White.  :-\

Morris,
I can see
James William b 1864 with mmn Gallacher
Margaret Jean b 1860 with mmn Gallacher

Is she transcribed as Jessie A in 1861? (ancestry)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 March 23 15:50 GMT (UK) »
A published tree has that death for a single woman, Elizabeth Laurenson, b 1834, Bressay. Her parents being Comyn (Cumming) Laurenson and Johanna White.  :-\

This lady seems to be Elizabeth Johnson in 1871 in the household of Johanna Laurenson so back on track hopefully.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 March 23 15:56 GMT (UK) »

Morris,
I can see
James William b 1864 with mmn Gallacher
Margaret Jean b 1860 with mmn Gallacher

Is she transcribed as Jessie A in 1861? (ancestry)

Jessie was born in 1858.

LAURENSON, JANET ANN
005 / 18
Lerwick

Debra  :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 March 23 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I found Elizabeth’s birth as Bridget Elizabeth in 1856, I think.

1861 transcription shows Jessie A as 6 months.

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 March 23 22:44 GMT (UK) »
To ciderdrinker, heywood, Kiltaglassan, and Dundee,

Thank you all  for your interest and responses.  :)

Elizabeth/Bridget Laurenson ms Gallacher seems to have died between 1891 and 1900, from information given on the marriage or death records of her children. The death in Bressay in 1866 is not her.  Actually, the surname Laurenson is quite common in Shetland  and there seem to have been a number of quite large families with that surname.

I did not want to make the initial post too long, but as some of you have already noticed there is an error in the 1861 Census with the name of the youngest child who appears as Jessie A aged 6 months born Leith. Actually 'Jessie' or Janet A was born in 1858 Lerwick Shetland and would have been age 3 in the 1861 Census. However, a younger sibling Margaret Jean was born in Sep 1860 in South Leith and so that is who actually was the 6 month old child. Quite where the real Jessie A was staying is a little mystery.

As ciderdrinker mentioned in terms of searchng in Leitrim records for Bridget/Elizabeth's baptism it is unfortunate that we do not have names for her parents.

Sometimes, it is possible to guess the names because of a 19th Century Scottish naming tradition. However, Robert and Bridget/Elizabeth do not seem to have followed that.

The children were Robert James b 1852, Laurence Nicol b1854, Bridget Elizabeth b1856, Janet Ann b1858, Margaret Jean b1860, John Peter b1862, and James William b1864. 

Their father,  Robert Laurenson (1825-1899) was the son of Nicol and Janet Laurenson. 

I do not know if the Louisiana Marriage record in 1852 of Robert Laurenson and Bridget Gallagher might have the names of her parents. I am trying to find out how to access a copy of any marriage certificate

Ciderdrinker is correct that the last time Bridget/Elizabeth ms Gallagher appears in records is 1864 but actually  when she registered the death and burial of her infant son James William who had been born in Aug 1864. He died in Nov 1864, of 'marasmus' , essentially malnutrition or starvation.

However, 'the plot thickens'...Part of the explanation for the infant's cause of death, may be that from a Newspaper Report we know that  in late Sept 1864, Bridget/Elizabeth, in the context of a serious and violent domestic disturbance  with husband Robert Laurenson, and while calling for help,  fell  out of a window 3 storeys up. She sustained injuries and concussion and was hospitalised, but I don't know for how long. She was probably no longer able to breast feed her child for some time which almost certainly contributed to his tragic death. Her husband was arrested and we are trying to find out if there was a prosecution...did she fall or was she pushed ? It was she who registered the death of her baby son in Nov 1864

By the 1871 Census her two eldest sons Robert and Laurence were most probably at sea, her daughters Bridget and Jessie were in Domestic Service in Shetland,  John Peter had died in Shetland in 1868 and in 1871 Margaret Jean was staying with her paternal grandmother and aunt on Shetland....but I don't know where Bridget/Elizabeth ms Gallagher was.

There is a possibility that she was in Shetland in 1873, because there is a record of allegations of theft of clothing by Robert Laurenson made against his 'ex-wife' Bridget Gallagher. I am waiting for more details.

Anyway, sorry this has been a long post, and thanks for your interest

Morris