Author Topic: COOPER family/families craftspeople freemen of London. help disentangle?  (Read 229 times)

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COOPER family/families craftspeople freemen of London. help disentangle?
« on: Saturday 11 March 23 03:12 GMT (UK) »
I am looking at a family surnamed Cooper who were craftspeople in London and were freemen there..None appear to have been Coopers by trade.

Its NOT that I can't find them but rather that there are many families or family lines. 
They have occupations ranging from goldsmith to silversmith, glazier, carpenter, carver and gilder, picture framer of note, looking glass maker, furniture maker etc. One even held a Royal Warrant. Examples of varioous folks' work are in museums and have online referene. Some of their womenfolk were well educated and scholarly and others involved in crafts.

All seem to be in artistic and related crafts.

Does anyone know of a resource that might help me disentangle all the lines? 
Surely someone must have travelled this route before?

Thank you for reading and for help

Regards
phenolphthalein
pH

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COOPER family/families craftspeople freemen of London. help disentangle?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 March 23 08:46 GMT (UK) »
It sounds like these folks would have been members of Lonodn livery companies (Worshipful Company of...)

Records of these are often very handy as they cover how they became members (e.g. through apprenticeship, or through their father).

For example, here are all the Coopers listed as apprentices in Worshipful Company of Carpenters records from 1654-1694.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/london-carpenters/1654-94/pp201-224
Cooper, Edward, 21, *152, *190; Elizabeth, *81; Francis, 180; George, *105; Godhelpe, 161; James, *180; John, *5, *134, 152, *161, *198; Prudence, *78; Rebecca, 156; Richard, 23, 40, 59, 76, 83; Thomas, 20, 156; William, 9, 57, 69, 78, *79, 81, 86, 91, 127, 147, 190.

entries take the form of:
Edward Cooper the sonn of Edw: Cooper of Stratford upon Avon in the County of warwick malster hath putt himselfe appntice to Christofer Lockwood for seaven yeares from midsomer day instant.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 March 23 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thnk you jo rose
I have looked at some livery and apprenticeship records,  the odd will and such.

There seem to be so many Cooper and all in similar artistic  or related occupatiions.  i was hoping for some sort of guidance so I coukd limit the field of "view" to more my people.

I shall take your advice and view a wider range of livery companies. Was there one for glaziers?

Thank you again.

phenolphthalein
pH

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 April 23 06:39 BST (UK) »
I still have not disentangled the many lines.
If anyone has information that will help I would be grateful.
phenolphthalein
Ph