Author Topic: Jutsum visit to Devon 2023 .  (Read 288 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Jutsum visit to Devon 2023 .
« on: Saturday 11 March 23 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I am coming to Devon June 2023 from NZ in search of my Jutsum ancestry and families . I am looking for the parents of John Jutsum d. 1800 buried in St Thomas Apostle with his wife Mary nee Skinner Jutsum who died 1816 .
I would like to find the actual gravesite if anyone can point me to the right connection there .
I have not found John Jutsum the Keeper parents yet but as soon as I do I will be trying to visit  their village . He is not the John Jutsum born 1734 . The timeline doesn't allow for three wives while he is having so many children with wife Ann …… well let me rephrase that ..it is unlikely .
I would love to meet up or connect with any Jutsum from down in Devon to try and find more out about the families there . Thanks for any ideas . Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jutsum visit to Devon 2023 .
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 March 23 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Lovely to take a trip and actually see the places your ancestors came from.I hope everything goes well.
His wife's Will mentions a dwelling house in Friernhay Lane .This she gives to her daughter in law Elizabeth Townsend White
She mentions a William Cook Jutsum and his children John and Mary Elizabeth Jutsum who are not yet 21.
The Mary Elizabeth Jutsum is baptised at South Molton 28 Dec 1801 d of William and Mary Jutsom with a brother John  24 Nov 1800.

Elizabeth Townsend White was buried at St Thomas's 23.4.1833 age 70.And was  a widow.
She marred at St Thomas as Elizabeth Townsend Jutsum  to Richard White of Honiton 1 Nov 1779 .Wit John Jutson and Jane? Sarah Nurse.
She was baptised at Topsham 27 Dec 1763 d of John and Elizabeth.
It looks like she was a daughter form John's previous marriage to Elizabeth Townsend 27.1.1757 at Cullompton.(I've not seen the full thing).
Today she would be called a step daughter.
William Cooke Jutsum is her brother bapt 28.7.1771 at St Thomas Apostle Exeter.
Their mother Elizabeth buried at St Thomas 14.4.1782.

There is a William and Sarah Jetsom having children in Exeter at St Mary Major in the 1730's who may be worth a look.
Sarah 11.4.1731 -12 May 1732 and William bapt 7.8.1733
But William dies 1735 and he only mentions his wife Sarah and son William in his Will but of course Sarah could have been pregnant and had John latter.

The houses in Fiernhay lane seem to be central in Exeter and good solid georgian properties over 3 floors so well worth seeing especially if you can tie down which house it was ,perhaps with the Land Redemption tax records.

Ciderdrinker

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Jutsum visit to Devon 2023 .
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 23 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Cider drinker , You are a wonder . We will print off your post and use it as an itinerary and then as a added bonus you may well have got me past the brick wall of John the Keepers parents . Can’t wait to start . My cousin ,another Jutsum is going to phone the church at the number a fellow RC gave us and see if we can find a graves site . I didn’t know Elizabeth White was buried there to . As I look at Photos of Devon and Exeter I can see how beautiful it is . Thank you for your work . Fred.
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..