Author Topic: What happened to Mary Anne Poole?  (Read 599 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
What happened to Mary Anne Poole?
« on: Friday 17 March 23 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I've been nosing about in the historic newspapers, looking at cases of 'crim-con'. I came across a women I was interested in, and I'd like to know what ultimately happened to her.

Using the details in the newspapers, and what I've found so far on Ancestry, here is what I know.

Mary Anne Poole was born in around 1802. Her father was an attorney at Bridgewater, but as yet, I don't know his name. I don't know where she was born.

On the 30th March 1822, she married John Richardson, who was also an attorney, at Cheddar in Somerset.

John Richardson was born around 1800 in Somerset. I believe, but am not certain, that his parents were John Richardson, and a woman called Hester.

The couple had at least two children, Edward John Richardson born 1823, and William Richardson born 1825.

The newspaper report is ambiguous, but it seems that Mary Anne began an affair with a Mr Fry, who was a surgeons assistant, around 1825.

John Richardson took Mr Fry to court, for crim-con, on the 20th May 1825, and was awarded a sum of damages.

I'm curious as to what happened to Mary Anne after that point. What was her life like?

I think I've found her husband, John Richardson, on the 1840 census here, living with his son Edward. Mary is not with them. I'm not sure where the other son, William is, but there is a record of a William Richardson at a school that might be him, but there are not enough details to be certain.

Piece:   932
Book:   8
Folio:   35
Page number:   10

I know John Richardson died in around May 1848, he was buried on the 8th May 1848. I found his will which mentions his two sons, so I'm pretty confident that's the correct death date.

Both sons went on to marry. William Richardson married a Harriet Atwell and may have immigrated to New Zealand. I can't see he was ever living with his mother again.

Edward remained in the UK, and married an Elizabeth Stacey. I also cannot see that his mother was ever living with him again either.

So I'm just wondering what happened to Mary Anne. Did she move back with her family at any point?
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Mary Anne Poole?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 23 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating 2½ pages of the Court Case May 22,  1826   Richardson v Fry
London & Paris Observer

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01s6s/

The fellow was Henry "Harry" Fry.
Mary Anne Poole was one of 11 or 12 children
Part of the evidence produced in court was a letter from Harry Fry to Mary Anne.
(A letter from her to him, was objected to and not admitted to evidence

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 23 11:33 GMT (UK) »
JOHN EVERED Poole;

Bapt 31 Jul 1773 Bridgwater to THOS/ANN

Children bapt Nether Stowey;
Thomas Evered 19 Jan 1796
John Evered 04 Feb 1797
John 30 Aug 1799, poss buried 30 Oct 1802 Bridgwater
MARY ANN 30 Aug 1799*****

Then Spaxton, mass bapt 04 Jun 1817
(year born after name)
Edward 1801
William 1803
Ellen 1804
John Evered 1805
Charlotte 1808
Eliza 1807
Susan born 1809
Emma born 1811
Ame Evered 1812
Robert Evered 1816
On these Fathers Occp Esquire

All have Parents as JOHN EVERED Poole and ELIZABETH

All above on FreeREG

+ on Anc;
9 Feb 1792
JOHN EVERED Poole, Bachelor, Attorney at Law****
Elizabeth SYMES, Spinster
Susanna Poole/Thos Symes? witnessed

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 23 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Bristol Mirror 29th July, 1826.

Death
July 27th, Mary Ann Richardson, wife of John Richardson Esq., solicitor, late of Worle, Somerset, and daughter of Robert Poole Esq., of Bridgewater.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 23 11:58 GMT (UK) »
John Evered Poole died 1856 age 82
Anc has his Will which due to eye problem cant read to see if Mary Ann is mentioned.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 March 23 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Well got that all wrong ::) :-[ :D

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 March 23 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, AMBLY, trish1120 and Middlesbrough.

That really fills in the blanks.

I made an error in my original post, the crim-con case was May 1826, not 1825.

It seems like Mary Anne died just a few months after the case. How awfully sad.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 March 23 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Bristol Mirror 29th July, 1826.

Death
July 27th, Mary Ann Richardson, wife of John Richardson Esq., solicitor, late of Worle, Somerset, and daughter of Robert Poole Esq., of Bridgewater.

"... a woman of great beauty and accomplishments"

Oh that is so sad.  :'(   Two months after the court case..... and even sadder when you read the report of the case and read how happy a "love-match" couple they seemed to be to all around them, and indeed to her husband,  prior to the "seduction" of  and "ruining of her virtue", by Mr Fry.

I wonder what medicines Mr Fry was giving her....and what disease he was afflicted with..... I suppose will never know!

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline bridgwatergirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 March 23 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Well got that all wrong ::) :-[ :D

There were quite a few important Pooles in Bridgwater, so it's an easy mistake to make!

John Evered Poole was another attorney (probably the same family as Robert, but I haven't followed that back) - I know of John E, because he lived in Castle Street, Bridgwater in the early 19th C and one of my ancestors died in the course of emptying out his cesspit!
Somerset - YOUNG, GADD, WASHER, VENN, SULLY, PAIN, ROWSELL, PADDON, BEER, DIBBLE.  Devon - TURNER, TOMS, BERRY, SHAMBROOK, GRIBBLE.  London - JEWITT, HARGRAVE, NELMS, FORSTER, TAYLOR.  Glamorgan - EVANS, JOSEPH, THOMAS, GRIFFITHS, LEWIS.  Lincs - JEWITT, BARWICK, BROWN.  Kent - TAYLOR, GODDEN, MACE.