Author Topic: Railwaymen working on census day?  (Read 857 times)

Offline Peejay56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Railwaymen working on census day?
« on: Sunday 19 March 23 16:12 GMT (UK) »
How were Railway firemen/drivers on shift, recorded on census day?
My grandad is missing from the 1911 census, I know he worked for the L&YR out of Bankhall, Liverpool as a fireman. I am wondering if he was recorded somewhere else?
Edward Jackson, born 5/11/1886 Huddersfield, died 1945.
I can find him in all census records (including 1939 registry)in Liverpool apart from 1911
Worked for L&YR and LMS as fireman then driver at Bankhall, Liverpool from 1904 until his death in 1945.
If anyone knows how I can access rail records, or union records relating to him, or if anyone can find him in 1911 that would be fantastic.
Thanks for reading - Peter

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Railwaymen working on census day?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 23 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Was he married by 1911
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 23 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I have come across this in Relatives who were Signalmen in Burscough that night.
They weren't recorded in the Signal Box because presumably they didn't Sleep there, they were working a Nightshift and it wasn't a recognised property address ?
Their Wife and Children completed the Home Address Census each time.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 23 17:51 GMT (UK) »
How were Railway firemen/drivers on shift, recorded on census day?

The instructions were that anyone who passed the night of Sunday 2nd April in the dwelling or who was alive in that dwelling at midnight was to be enumerated.

People who were on night shift (for instance policemen, railwaymen, watchmen or people travelling overnight) and arrived there on the morning of 3rd April could also be enumerated there.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 23 18:40 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather worked for a railway company and was recorded in two places.  One place being Manchester (the main office) and the other was in Devon.

The probable reason is that one address filled in the form on the actual night and the other form was filled in a day or two earlier.

I have another ancestor who was recorded on his ship accompanied by his wife and new born baby plus his brother.   The other entry shows him living at home with his wife and several children but no baby.  An independent enumerator filled in the census of him being aboard his ship and the other census form was probably filled in prior to the actual census date.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Peejay56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 23 19:56 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW - He married in 1914.

Thank you all for looking at the matter, and giving some helpful replies.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 23 18:52 GMT (UK) »
My father was a driver with the LNER and later BR. I remember that in 1951 our family was staying for a weekend with my aunt and uncle who insisted on putting us all on his form. Dad had already completed the form for home but he was insistent, so we are recorded twice. In 1961no problem he was on day shift. 1971 he had retired and due to him now being effectively blind I completed the form for them.
A driver would almost certainly be a member of ASLEF, rail union records are held by Warwick University.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peejay56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 23 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Redroger - Many thanks. I will look into accessing Warwick's records.
Peter.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 March 23 21:55 GMT (UK) »
If he was on an away turn he will have been in lodgings near the shed where his engine was shedded overnight.

Unfortunately, the LYR personnel records will have been transferred to Derby following the grouping of the railways in 1923 as it became part of the LMS ... and the LMS records were all lost to a fire in 1951.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright