Author Topic: Isabella Smith Domestic Servant- Fasque  (Read 213 times)

Offline sss65

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Smith Domestic Servant- Fasque
« on: Monday 20 March 23 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out if there are any records of Domestic servants employed at Fasque during the time that PM William Ewart Gladstone visited his brother Thomas who had inherited the estate from his father. Approx- 1880-1889
I would really like to know if the stories passed down the family about her working there when he visited are true.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Smith Domestic Servant- Fasque
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 23 18:22 GMT (UK) »
The house itself has been sold for use as a hotel, but I think the estate is still owned by the Gladstone family. Perhaps you could contact the estate office.

I see that Isabella was not working at Fasque at the time of the 1881 or 1891 census.

Offline sss65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 23 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. She was listed on the census for 1881 as a Domestic servant and was living in Fettercairn which is very close to Fasque.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 23 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Start with https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrasregister/welcome.aspx and the various other archive sites mentioned in that article.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.